Joys of a Paint Strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelm

Reaction score
In the past I did the popular siphone down as far as you can and then start pouring the sludge into the funnel with the strainer peice in it and swishing a spoon around to get all I could outta the kettle.... took FOREVER and I really hated it....

Ok after reading a few threads on the paint strainer bags I broke down and went to the store and picked up a pack of them today... instead of using it as a sock I did the normal boil, Chill wort down and then pull the chiller put the bag around in and put it back into the pot and siphon from within.... I didnt whirlpool I didnt wait for stuff to settle just pulled the IC slipped the bag around it (had it soaking in sanitizer) and dropped it back into the kettle and started my siphon, after a couple gallon I tilted my kettle and just kept on....

It siphoned EVERYTHING out of the kettle the hop and trub basicaly ended up an almost dry cake on the bottom of the pot... I actually ended up with 1/4 gallon or more then I normaly do!!!!!!!!!! with absolutly no work at all on my behalf...

Honestly this is the most amazing new(for me) thing I have tried.... I am so stoked and happy I am just all giddy and blubbering :) Ok ok maybe its the3 great lakes Commador Perry's but seriously this is a wont ever brew without it peice of equipment now!!!

You mean like this?

Chiller_Filter_2.jpg

Been there...done that

:D :D :D

If only doing 5 gallon batches, I boil and cool with my IC normally, then put the strainer in the bucket, and just dump in. Slowly, it will have a tendency to pull down into the bucket, but beats the Hell out of that funnel w/ strainer.

If you're using carboy's then your siphon setup is probably better.

3 cheers for paint strainer bags!

Nevermind. It looks like you're using the hopsock rig now. I guess the same question applies. You don't have to replace the sack after each use?

Nevermind. It looks like you're using the hopsock rig now. I guess the same question applies. You don't have to replace the sack after each use?

Admittedly, brew day is like a marathon game of "Operation". :D

Of all the routines I've used for preventing hop sludge from clogging my day, your hopsock idea is the best.

A buddy just turned me on to a great idea concerning this topic. He procured some filters on ebay that are sold as biodiesel filters, they look just like the paint strainer bags that we all know and love but they are available in different mesh sizes, he uses a 200 micron with great results. Look on ebay, these are readily available and I should have some by my next brew day.

Latest posts

Back