Jovaru Pitch Rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
So I’ve got my hands on a pack of Omega’s Jovaru yeast. Does anyone have any experience with it? What pitch rates did you use, and do you know if it benefits from underpitching like a Kveik? I know it’s not a Kveik, but there’s obviously some common ground, what with the high fermentation temps so it wouldn’t surprise me if it benefitted from being handled in the same way.

I really can't help with your question, but have used the strain in a 3 gallon batch at 1.032. The pack I pitched was a little more than 3 months old, no starter so it was probably a pretty low pitch rate. The yeast was the best part of that beer - lemony, spicy, and a little tart.

What I would recommend is reaching out to Omega - I have before and found them to be very responsive and helpful.

I really can't help with your question, but have used the strain in a 3 gallon batch at 1.032. The pack I pitched was a little more than 3 months old, no starter so it was probably a pretty low pitch rate. The yeast was the best part of that beer - lemony, spicy, and a little tart.

What I would recommend is reaching out to Omega - I have before and found them to be very responsive and helpful.

Cheers for the reply. I did contact omega and they were really helpful. Said they know if no benefit to underpitching, but certainly didn’t tell me not to.

Ended up pitching a litre starter (made 2L but decanted 2x 500ml off in jars for two more brews) in 23L at 29/30c in a 1.034 light beer (50/50 unmalted wheat/pils, bit of GN oats with a bit of Sorachi late on). Went mental after a few hours, but very little krausen. Fermented at around 30c. Dropped after a few days and I reckon it’s done now at 1.004. Tastes really interesting. Definitely a bit of a saison vibe going off, but with a difference. Maybe a smoother rounded edge. Doesn’t taste anything like as dry as it should.

Back