johnson temp control A419 Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hojo3322

Reaction score
So I had a few buddies over the weekend and we were enjoying some brew out of chest freezer w/johnson temp control A419. I have not converted this to a keezer yet so I have to lift the lid every time to access the pick nick taps. So at the end of the night my buddy goes to the chest freezer and helps himself to 1 more brew before calling it a night and as he is closing the lid part of the tubing prevents the chest freezer from fully closing. I do not realize this til the next afternoon about 20 hours later. When I finally see the problem I notice the chest freezer is not on and I think to myself well crap there goes the chest freezer. I plug the chest freezer directly into the outlet and it turns right on however, when I try to run it through the johnson temp control A419 it does not turn on, I tried 5 times waiting about 20min each time an nothing. Can anyone offer some advice on his problem? Thank you in advance :mug:

just in case anyone ever has this problem I'll post what I come up with. I contacted Northern Brewer which is where i bought it from. Below is their initial suggestion. If anyone can contribute some advice it would be greatly appreciated Cheers!

"I would disconnect the controller from the power source, and open it up. Check to see if the wire connections for the controller seem sound. Then, plug it back in (no need to connect the freezer to it, just plug the controller into the wall), and wait for the light to turn green. Once the light turns green you should hear a soft click, that's the relay switching. If you don't hear a click when the light comes on, then there's a problem with the relay."

Curious to see as I had something similar happen and never diagnosed the exact problem rather kegconnection just sent me a new controller. Great customer service by the way the rock!

I bought mine for a keezer build but first used to ferment. Was fine during fermentation then when I went to use it for the keezer it wouldn't work. After your post I'm thinking mine was the relay as the green light would turn on but would not trigger the chest freezer to power on.

It turns out that the relay went. I went back and forth with Northern Brewer and in the end the replaced it for free. This is the second time NB has come through for me when a product has failed, really nice to see a company that stands behind what they sell.

Latest posts

Back