Johnson A419 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankiesurf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my A419. Everything is set right as the fridge is cutting in at 71 and cutting off at 70 with the one degree set degree differential. The issue is that the temp is going down to about the low 60's before it begins to warm back up.

Can someone explain this and how to figure it out? I am going to be putting a fermenter full of Belgian golden strong ale in there and am going away for the weekend.

Where do you have the probe located?
And is there any thermal mass inside the fridge?

A probe hanging in an empty fridge or freezer will likely cause a fairly small cycle time and a ton of overshoot on the cold side...
Cheers!

How are you measuring the temp? Just with the Johnson controller? Are you sure it's dropping to 60? Also, I don't think it heats and cools. Does it?

Daytripper, I think that was my problem. Nothing in the fridge. I have the sensor hooked to the side of the inside about midway between back and front as well as top and bottom. I put the carboy in and will check it again when I get home in a couple of hours.

Hello, I have two other thermometers in there that are reading the same. I think Daytripper had the problem. If I still have an issue when I check later I will be sure to check back here.

Thanks guys.

Back