Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All!

I am a fairly new brewer and I started JAOM about six weeks ago and it's has cleared..except for some sediment floaters. This seems a little soon from the instructions. Should I be worried? Fermenting temp was 68. I know this is a little cool, but there were not fluctuations in temp. Thanks!

Hey All!

I am a fairly new brewer and I started JAOM about six weeks ago and it's has cleared..except for some sediment floaters. This seems a little soon from the instructions. Should I be worried? Fermenting temp was 68. I know this is a little cool, but there were not fluctuations in temp. Thanks!

Yes, it is totally ruined. Please send to my address for proper disposal :cross:

How do you guys filter out the sediment before bottling. My sample was OK but I will be aging this one. There was alot of orange floaties I would like removed.

Hey All!

Thanks for the help on such a noob question. I figured I was premature on posting about it.

How do you guys filter out the sediment before bottling. My sample was OK but I will be aging this one. There was alot of orange floaties I would like removed.

I racked mine to secondary. I know the instructions specifically advise against that, but for me, it was the best way to keep crap out of the final packaging.

I let it sit in primary until all fruit had dropped and mead seemed completely clear, and then auto-siphoned into a 3L bottle until full. I then let it sit a few more weeks. A small amount of sediment formed at the bottom of secondary, so even though it had appeared perfectly clear before, there was still more to get out of suspension. I then bottled in 12oz beer bottles.

I racked mine to secondary. I know the instructions specifically advise against that, but for me, it was the best way to keep crap out of the final packaging.

I let it sit in primary until all fruit had dropped and mead seemed completely clear, and then auto-siphoned into a 3L bottle until full. I then let it sit a few more weeks. A small amount of sediment formed at the bottom of secondary, so even though it had appeared perfectly clear before, there was still more to get out of suspension. I then bottled in 12oz beer bottles.

I will be doing a secondary with this 3 gallon batch too. The last batch I bottled directly got sediment in just about all the bottles. And I want to try some oak with part of this batch.

I want to make this so bad but only have a 6 gal carboy and one airlock, and don't want to tie them up for 6 weeks :(

I want to make this so bad but only have a 6 gal carboy and one airlock, and don't want to tie them up for 6 weeks :(

I bought five 1 gallon jugs of apple cider that I made Caramel Apple Hard Cider with and now I have 5 jugs to do JAOM or 1 gallon test beer batches. Jus an idea.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Exactly how I do mine. They always turn out great and crystal clear.

+1

I also really liked it with Nottingham beer yeast and want to use k1 wine yeast on an attempt soon as it's great on fruit meads and wines.

Is the Wyeast sweet mead package too much for a 1 gallon batch? Maybe split the package between two 1 gallon batches?

Is the Wyeast sweet mead package too much for a 1 gallon batch? Maybe split the package between two 1 gallon batches?

Theoretically that should be enough yeast for about a 6% ABV 5 gallon batch or a 12% ABV 2.5 gallon batch. If you are around 14%, I would split it between 2 batches. Also check out the Mr. Malty pitching calculator for more specific estimates. I would also highly encourage a yeast nutrient or energizer of some sort.

Thanks. I'll look up that calculator. I would think that a whole pack of the Wyeast plus energizer would volcano out of the airlock in a one gallon jug. It certainly wouldn't need a starter. :D

I'm sampling some of this that I started in December. I didn't mess with it, except a few shaking attempts to get the fruit to fall, which only a few raisins did. I think this actually helped, as the loose yeast around the bottle and on top of the fruit then fell and collected at the bottom.

It was perfectly clear by the time I bottled. Total time in primary was about 5 months during one of the coldest winters I've seen. Ambient basement temp was around 61 degrees.

This is a VERY interesting mead! It's sweet, right on the border of too sweet, but that makes it oh so drinkable. The orange interplays with the spices in very tasty ways.

I used Fleischmann's Active Dry yeast, by the way, and included just a tiny pinch of the optional spices. I can barely detect them, even with that small of an amount, but it makes the mead really complex. The orange is sweet and citrusy, but balanced by the bitterness of the rind.

I can't wait to see how this develops - I bottled into four 7oz flip top bottles, and 2 wine bottles. That way I can see how this progresses and crack the wine bottles when I think it's "great" and a big group of folks are ready to dive in.

What an awesome recipe. Will definitely keep a batch of this going continually, with these kind of results!

I liked it at red wine temp 55F which would theoretically likely be a traditional temp I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

At what point should I top off the water? It looks like most of the foam is starting to die down now (It's been in the carboy for 5 days now) is that enough time or should I give it some more time?

Ok, so I followed the original recipe exactly and brewed this back in early November, I put it in a closet and pretty much forgot about it until last night. I pulled it out of the closet seeing that all of the fruit has dropped and it was very clear. I haven't tastes or bottled as of yet but I did pull the airlock off and smelled, very strong cough syrup smell. What would cause this, is it ok, if not what can be done to fix it, or should I bottle and let it sit and see what happens? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure what cough syrup smell is am what we get usually smells like chemical cherries. What temp was the closet? If it fermented on the warm side you might have some fusel alcohols that are causing what you smell. Did you put the orange peel in? You might be getting some citrus oils as well.

In any case time is your friend. Bottle, taste a little as you do, then put away and try again in three months. Continue trying every three months until you like it or your run out.

Would racking to another container help with clearing?
After three months there is no fruit drop or clearing.
I'm wondering if a factor in that might be that I used red star champagne yeast instead of bread yeast.

If you give it time it will clear. It won't hurt it to rack it either. Your call.

My closet has gotten pretty chilly in the past two days (the mead is sitting at 66 degrees a week in), is there an immediate rush to get back to upwards of 80 or is it OK where it is until the room warms up again?

my mead stayed between 65 and 70 degrees. it turned out fine. and my fruit never dropped, yet it did stop working 2 weeks after i thought it should have.

Is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't split a batch of the JAOM into two half gallon glass milk bottles? My stoppers fit them perfectly, and I don't want to tie up my 4 liter jugs that long. I do plan on changing the yeast to d-47 if that makes a difference? Do I need to worry about headspace with d-47?

Hmmm in reading more sounds like I need more headspace for overflow... Back to the drawing board :/

Would racking to another container help with clearing?
After three months there is no fruit drop or clearing.
I'm wondering if a factor in that might be that I used red star champagne yeast instead of bread yeast.

Back in early feb I made 3 one gallon batches, one with bread yeast, one with wine yeast and one with cchampagne yeast. The bread yeast one is the clearest, the champagne yeast is clear. Wine yeast is cloudy. Go figure

Well just put together a two gallon batch in my mr beer fermenter. Used d47 so put it in the basement to hopefully keep the temp in check. We'll see how it goes!

Back in early feb I made 3 one gallon batches, one with bread yeast, one with wine yeast and one with cchampagne yeast. The bread yeast one is the clearest, the champagne yeast is clear. Wine yeast is cloudy. Go figure

I'm wondering if the yeast is the reason it's not clearing the way others have said. I've started another batch with wyeast mead yeast. For that batch I added the zest, juice, and pulp instead of the whole orange.

I didnt use the pith or rind in any if the three recipes. And the wine yeast one has lemons instead if oranges. Otherwise, they are the same

I started this one almost 2 months ago, using the original recipe, except I substituted for a dry ale yeast. This is my first mead. The 2 months is up tomorrow, and the oranges and foam floating on top have not yet sunk to the bottom, as described in the original instructions. Should I filter and bottle it anyway, or maybe rack it for a week or so to clear it up?

Thanks for any advice any of you can give!

I started this one almost 2 months ago, using the original recipe, except I substituted for a dry ale yeast. This is my first mead. The 2 months is up tomorrow, and the oranges and foam floating on top have not yet sunk to the bottom, as described in the original instructions. Should I filter and bottle it anyway, or maybe rack it for a week or so to clear it up?

Personally, I would just wait a while longer. This recipe doesn't really start to taste good until after 6+ months, so there is no need to rush things.

Nothing wrong with racking it, though, as long as you're careful. I would make sure that whatever secondary vessel you use, you try to minimize the headspace. I found that a 3L plastic soda bottle worked great for this.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Is it clear? You should be able to see right through it like a piece of glass. If not, I'd let it sit longer. Just check the airlock to make sure it stays filled and let the mead run its course.
Odds are its probably done but you really don't want to bottle too soon. You can rack but it will be easier if you let it clear and let the fruit drop.

My first batch, which is still in progress, cleared after just a few weeks in the fermenter. However , I could see small bubbles floating up through it and the fruit remained at the top. Only now has the fruit started to fall . Since it can't be consumed right away, just give it time it will do what it needs to do in its own time.

I waited about three months and the fruit never did fall. I finally cold crashed it and that got the fruit to fall. I then racked to a secondary and let it sit another three months to get perfectly clear.

Don't know if I would have needed too but I wanted my 5 gal carboy back for beer. I racked to a 3 gal carboy and it fill just to the neck. I had about a glass left over which I drank but it was not really enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice, all. It is not clear yet, but the airlock doesn't seem to be bubbling anymore, or it is at least going very slowly. I will probably give it another month, and rack it if it still isn't nice and clear. I'm hoping to have it ready to drink by christmas.

Please advise: My first batch of JAOM tasted so good, I want to make more. If a 1-gal batch uses 1 tsp of Flieshman's yeast, would you use 5 tsp for a 5-gal batch? I could cut the cinnamon and cloves to 3 or 4 of each and maybe 120 raisins, but I used a couple of extra oz. of honey and would use about 18# to five gallons. My main question is the yeast. Your thoughts?

Please advise: My first batch of JAOM tasted so good, I want to make more. If a 1-gal batch uses 1 tsp of Flieshman's yeast, would you use 5 tsp for a 5-gal batch? I could cut the cinnamon and cloves to 3 or 4 of each and maybe 120 raisins, but I used a couple of extra oz. of honey and would use about 18# to five gallons. My main question is the yeast. Your thoughts?

Ok, I jus read this and Im thinkin, "Why is this guy talkin bout 1tsp of yeast? You're supposed to use the whole package!"

Then I realized, maybe I shud go back n read the original post. And lo n behold....

So, I made 3 1 gallon batches back n Feb, using whole pkgs of bread yeast, wine yeast and champagne yeast respectively. They seem to be doin fine. They have all clarified. Stuff is dropping, I opened one and huffed it, and it smelled great!! Anyone else made the same mistake?

Latest posts

Back