Joe Mama's Milk clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christobrew

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to homebrewing, I have 2 batches going right now, and I'm starting my third in a couple days. so I need some advice.

The Keegan Ales website sells clone recipe kits. and according to their site, joe mama's milk is mother’s milk recipe with "copious amounts of brown sugar to add body and increase the alcohol content." it goes on to say, "Then, after primary fermentation, we infuse a cold coffee extract from our friends down the street, Monkey Joe’s Roasting Co."

so, if one were to recreate Joe Mama's Milk, how much Brown sugar would one add? how about coffee? I know there can't really be an exact answer, but I'm kind of clueless here! I looooove Joe Mama's Milk, and it's so hard to find, I'd love to have a good recipe to fall back on to replicate it. anyone do this themselves before?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I've never had this beer, but I would assume that the abv is higher in Joe Mamas milk, so if you know the difference in abv of the kit and Joe Mamas Milk, in theory you could find out how much sugar to add to get it to the right gravity, it's not exact, but it should get you close. As with the coffee, you could add it in small increments until you get to the flavor you like.

that's a good idea, working out the sugar content through the gravity. not that I'd know how to do that, that's why i need to learn more.
and for the coffee, I thought I'd find out the average amount used in coffee stouts and work around that. I'm ok with doing a few batches of trial & error to get this right.

edit: looked it up. mother's milk is 6%, joe mama's is 8%. any clue how much sugar I'd need to increase that, or do I actually need the gravity numbers to figure that out?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

According to beersmith mobile, you would need 1lb 6oz to boost the abv of a 5 gallon batch by 2%. This isn't exact because of the all variables involved in brewing, but it should give you a starting point.

You might want to check out dark invert sugar as well, it wouldn't be the same as the brown sugar, but it might work well with the coffee if you wanted to try something different in a later batch.

i asked tommy from keegan ales about this, and he suggest 8 oz of dark brown sugar and 3 cups of coffee. so, taking his word into account vs. what you told me, bauer, i went with 12 oz of dark brown sugar. got an OG of 1.086, it's been in the fermenter for about 2.5 days, gonna take another gravity reading soon just to see where we're at. i used WLP1090, san diego super yeast.

if anyone's interested, i'll be doing a side by side taste test of these...

Back