jockey box vs direct keg tapping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cino101

Reaction score
What's the true advantage in having a jockey box? Everything I read says you still need to put the keg on ice as well as fill the cooler with ice. Isn't it easier just to ice a keg and direct tap it with a faucet with a disconnect adapter? Understood if you are at a festival and its for presentation but if your just with friends and family I would think direct tap would be just as good. Am I missing something?

Most jockey boxes that I have seen have multiple taps - like anywhere from two to six. Ice in the jockey box would keep the beer lines cool and therefore keep the beer in the beer lines cool. What you are talking about would work great for one key, but would not be as great for having several kegs. That is just my opinion.

If that's the case then I can easily see the advantages. I thought I saw a recommendation that internal temp of keg was suppose to be below 55 if using a cold plate. Plus at the festivals I always see the kegs on ice but that could because they usually are on 95 degree days! I will take your word for it, too much of what I read is hog wash anyway.

Back