JOAM added too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redranger

Reaction score
I just made Joe's Orange Ancient Mead for the first time but used Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Mead Yeast M05 instead of the bread yeast and accidentally added the whole packet (10g) instead of a teaspoon - what should I do about this??

I haven't made mead, but I wouldn't worry about it in a batch of beer. It may well ferment faster, watch for blowoff. Maybe use a tube instead of an airlock.

I just made Joe's Orange Ancient Mead for the first time but used Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Mead Yeast M05 instead of the bread yeast and accidentally added the whole packet (10g) instead of a teaspoon - what should I do about this??
I've never made mead, i dont think ive ever drank any either but is bread yeast really supposed to be used ?? I mean , i know distillers use bread yeast for corn mashes but i dont know much of anything about mead.

Asking this question in the original thread should have been enough.

It won't be a true jaom as this one relies on the bread yeast to stop fermentation after a certain level. The mead yeast will probably ferment much more of the sugar so the resulting mead will be dry or at least much dryer than it would have been with the appropriate yeast. It also will have more alcohol.

No problem, but different result obviously. Just let it ride and see if you will like the result but be prepared for extended aging time requirements, if the mead tastes hot. It will be much better after one or two years of aging in the bottle.

I've never made mead, i dont think ive ever drank any either but is bread yeast really supposed to be used ?? I mean , i know distillers use bread yeast for corn mashes but i dont know much of anything about mead.
For this certain recipe, it is mandatory to use bread yeast. Unusual, but it actually works best with it.

Last edited:
To understand why it will be fine, you have to understand that the first thing your yeast do after rehydration is multiply - rapidly. So you have effectively just kick-started that multiplication effort.

When your mead is finished, you will have several times the original inoculation 10g of yeast in the gross lees you'll rack off from.

Back