Jet Carboy and Bottle Washer Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RochesterAaron

Reaction score
I ordered the brass Jet Carboy and Bottle Washer recently from one of the big online HBS companies. I attach it to the sink and... nothing. There is a good seal at the faucet, but the trigger isn't acting pressurized. My guess is that the steel ball bearing is stuck.

I contacted the company that i ordered it from, and they were great, sent a new one out right away. That one arrived on Saturday. Same issue. Last night I boiled the washer as the manufacturer's website suggests. Still no luck. If I hold the trigger steady and shake the washer I don't hear the ball bearing moving.

Is is possible that I got 2 defective washers in a row? Any suggestions on getting the ball bearing unstuck? Should I just call the HBS back up and let them know?

Thanks!

RochesterAaron said:
nope. I tried that last night while I foolishly debated hooking an air compressor up to it.

Hmm...if you can't dislodge it by knocking on the trigger flange, I'd probably guess it's stuck for good. Send it back and ask them to test the next one they send you? Sounds like they've got a bad batch (or you've got ridiculously high water pressure.)

RochesterAaron,

I have the same issue as you.
The first one I tried boiling and cooling in the manner they suggest. I even put 100 pounds of air in it to try and unstick it. Called my LHBS and they promptly sent me another but it has the same issue.

I called JET and left a MSG last night and I received a voice MSG back from them today saying they have never had a problem and had been making them for 30 years. But they received a bunch of tube recently that is slightly smaller and so there are a few made that don't work. They asked me to send my faulty unit to them and they would replace it.

I called my LHBS (Brock's in Melbourne, FL) and told them the story. He tested his stock and said half are clogged and half are good and he is putting a good one in the mail for me (my LHBS is still 60 miles away).

Hope this helps.

I'm also having an issue with my Jet bottle washer, and thought I'd post it here rather than create a new thread. I screw it on, turn on the water, press a bottle onto it, it shoots water up inside, and I remove the bottle to stop the flow. Sometimes it cuts off cleanly and sits there silently, waiting for the next bottle. But other times (probably half the time), instead of stopping completely, it makes a horrible jackhammer noise and sprays a mist of water in all directions.

I've tried varying the water pressure, but no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it my plumbing, or do I just have a "bad" bottle washer?

Latest posts

Back