Jeremiah clone anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onedon

Reaction score
:cross: One of my favorite beers is Jeremiah Red @ BJ’s restaurant. I’m looking for an Extract recipe. Also love Nutty Brunet. Anyone got one of these? Thanks

BJ's offers this little bit of info:
Style: Strong Ale
Alcohol:7.1% by volume
Malt Varieties:2-row Pale, Munich, Belgian Crystal Malts, Chocolate
Bitterness (IBU):35 (approximately)
Color (SRM)15 (approximately)
Starting Gravity:1.072
Final Gravity:1.017
Hop Varieties:Northern Brewer
Yeast type:Top fermenting

I haven't had the chance to taste this one so maybe someone else would like a shot at a recipe.

Wild

BJ's Jeremiah Red was the first beer I ever had! No joke. I did some tinkering around with promash and came up with this simple recipe using Wild's guidlines.

7.5 lb. Light DME
0.5 lb. Crystal 60
2.5 oz. Chocolate Malt

Steep grain in a gallon of 160 F water for a half hour. Rinse and add more water to desired volume and boil, add extract.

0.75 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
0.75 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer 15 min

1.072 OG
34.7 IBU
15.0 SRM

brewsmith said:
BJ's Jeremiah Red was the first beer I ever had! No joke. I did some tinkering around with promash and came up with this simple recipe using Wild's guidlines.

7.5 lb. Light DME
0.5 lb. Crystal 60
2.5 oz. Chocolate Malt

Steep grain in a gallon of 160 F water for a half hour. Rinse and add more water to desired volume and boil, add extract.

1.072 OG
34.7 IBU
15.0 SRM

Looks good but I'd add .50 of Munich malt in with the steeping grains. It will help add little bit more of a malty background to it.

Sounds good. How well does munich do in the steepling process? I've mashed it, but never steeped it.

Any suggestions on a liquid Wyeast for this beer?? Just came from lunch at BJ's and loved the red-- and the Tatonka imperial stout.

"If its not beer-thirty, I'm in the wrong time zone!"

If I change to a LME, how much do I need to use? I think it's supposed to be more, but I don't remembrer.
:tank:

so, would that mean that I would use 9lbs. of LME? seems a bit heavy. come to think of it, Jeramiah Red does kick your ass.

Here's how it will go down Wed. night guys. Thanks for all the info, and I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone used the Safale US-56 yet? It sounds pretty good.

9.25 lb. Light LME
0.5 lb. Crystal 60
2.5 oz. Chocolate Malt

Fermentis/ Safale US-56

Pretty sure Munich malt has to be mashed, but you could add some 2-row and do a mini-mash. Or go with what you have...looks fine. Lots of people have used the US-56 as far as I know...it's basically the dried form of Wyeast 1056 which is what I would use for an American Red/Amber (never had this beer, so just assuming that's what it is).

Hey guys,
Brewed the Jeremiah Red Last night. Everything went well except that my OG was only 1.060 and was supposed to be 1.072 I even used 9.25lbs of LME. Any ideas on why my OG would be off? I know it will taste like good beer either way. I just can’t imagine what I could have done to change it. Seems like a whole lot of LME to me.

that makes me wonder how much of an issue it is that I may not have mixed it well enlugh. I usualy start my primary fermintation in a pale, and stir it really well with my ladel. this time I started it in a carboy, and just put a cap on it and shook it around a little bit. What happens if it didn't mix well?

It should be well mixed. As far as the OG, there are a dozen reasons the reading could be off. Assuming everything else went fine, the beer should be great either way.

Hey guys,
For those involved I wanted to update and let you all know that This one turned out pretty good. I'ts a little heavy for me now. I'm pretty picky about when I drink what beers, and it's been a little warmer here in TX, so it's been a little too heavy for me to drink lately. Nice head, beutiful color, and clean taste, exept for a little yeasty aftertast. Anyone know what might have caused this? I'll be brewing a nice hef. soon.

I'm guessing you bottled it? Did you pour the yeast in the bottle in your glass or leave it in the bottle? Did it get shaken to stir up the sediment? It might be that there is still a bit in suspension. Try keeping several bottles in the refrigerator for a few days or longer to get the yeast to settle out.

Old thread, but I'm interested in trying this recipe. Only I'd like an AG version, but don't know how to convert it. Anyone brewed an AG version of this red ale?

Brewsmith, did you actually ever brew this extract version you posted? How similar to BJ's Jeremiah Red was it?

Back