Jasmine rice in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr08

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using Jasmine rice in beer as it's a local product where I live in. Has anyone tried it before using Jasmine rice in beer brewing?

So if I want to use it? What is the recommended way to do so? Do I have to malt it or use as it is?

I'm thinking about using Jasmine rice in beer as it's a local product where I live in. Has anyone tried it before using Jasmine rice in beer brewing?

So if I want to use it? What is the recommended way to do so? Do I have to malt it or use as it is?

If you're mashing it as a smallish portion of your grain bill with plenty of base malt, you could do a cereal mash (more or less just cook the rice before tossing it in the mash) or maybe even just grind it and chuck it in the mash. However, using rice in a beer tends to create a dry, light-bodied beer without contributing much, if anything, to the flavor profile, and I don't think jasmine rice would be much different.

To use rice without a diastatic grain like malted barley, I imagine you'd have to either malt it or use amylase enzyme in the mash to get fermentable sugars. I'll bet you could find some info in the Gluten Free subforum here.

If you can get some rice wine yeast/koji, you could make some simple rice wine that might be a bit distinctive from the jasmine rice as opposed to other varieties of rice. There's a great thread on it here. Its not beer, but it's probably a better way to get a distinctive alcoholic beverage made from Jasmine rice than trying to use it in a beer, where it's unlikely to contribute much flavor.

The other alternative might be to go all-out on malting it, making specialty grains with rice, and doing an all-rice beer. I'm not sure if you could make something decent that way, but it would certainly be a jasmine rice beer. Again, the gluten free subforum would be the place to get guidance for something like that.

I use jasmine rice all the time in an american lager that I do. I just boil it for 30/40 minutes until it starts to break down and turn into a starchy soup, then let it cool a little bit and dump it in the mash. Works great and tastes fantastic. You could cereal mash it as well, but I've had consistently good results just boiling, so that seems like overkill.

You will need to boil it rather than just dumping it in the mash though.

I use jasmine rice all the time in an american lager that I do. I just boil it for 30/40 minutes until it starts to break down and turn into a starchy soup, then let it cool a little bit and dump it in the mash. Works great and tastes fantastic. You could cereal mash it as well, but I've had consistently good results just boiling, so that seems like overkill.

You will need to boil it rather than just dumping it in the mash though.

Awesome!:rockin:

I've been wondering the same thing, tr08. Good Jasmin rice is an amazing thing. It's aromatic and so flavorful...I hope you post updates after your done.

Rice is like so many other ingredients, such as tomatoes, pork, beef, asparagus, spices and container of herbs etc, etc, etc. The stuff you commonly find you'll easily be disappointed or believe the ingredient simply doesn't offer much. I believe this couldn't be further from the truth. Making beer, like food...is all about the quality of ingredients. Moving into better ingredients allows you to simplify the recipe and perfect the procedure.

What rice is it that's local to you. I can think of some nice South Carolina rice...but one of my favorites is a Cajun brown jasmine rice , that comes from Louisiana.

Great stuff

Latest posts

Back