Jargon buster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firelion70

Reaction score
I am looking to make my first batch but getting a little confused with some of the terms used! Words include
Pitching
Priming sugar
Primary
Secondary
Rack
Carboy
Any help with these terms or any others I may come across would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Pitching = adding yeast
Priming sugar = sugar added at bottling to cause carbonation
Primary = the vessel used to ferment in
Secondary = the vessel used to clear/age
Rack = move from one vessel to another
Carboy = glass (usually) vessels; often 5 or 6.5 gallons in volume

If you can get hold of a copy of "The Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry Garey, she explains winemaking terms in a lot of detail and in a very entertaining manner. And you'll have about a bajillion good wine recipes to boot.

Hi Firelion. Have you read www.makinghardcider.com? I think its an outstanding resource for new cider makers.

Yeah I read this when the site building posted it up a while back on another post.

The only thing I didn't like about this was, there was an overemphasis (IMO) on the relative safety of unpasteurized cider. I think it is perfectly safe with an extremely low risk.

I would wager that just about any blend of unpasteurized fresh cider would produce a better hard cider than any pasteurized cider.

I have made hundreds of gallons of unpasteurized hard ciders with no ill effect. I personally have only made two ciders with pasteurized juices, one store bought concentrate and one in jug store bought - I thought they tasted really bland and lack luster compared to any of my ciders.

I know ckville has that ginormous sticky, and he came to a similar conclusion.

There is good info on that how to site, just take some of that concern over unpasteurized cider as the voodoo that it is. If you use general common sense and fresh apples, rinse before use, cut out rot if present, etc - you shouldn't have any problems.

To fully embrace cider, at one point or another you will have to press your own. When you do you won't be pasteurizing it. When you do, I be you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in the quality cider you reap.

Edit - there is also some misinformation on the site (sorbate being a yeast killer, etc.). It is not a yeast killer, rather a reproduction inhibitor. That said, if you really wanted you could take a jug of sorbated cider and pitch 1-2 packets of rehydrated yeast and it would ferment it (While I wouldn't recommend doing that). Point being - sorbate and sulphites can be overcome by a healthy yeast population.

To fully embrace cider, at one point or another you will have to press your own. When you do you won't be pasteurizing it. When you do, I be you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in the quality cider you reap.

Amen! I do find the endless discussions about tree top quite disheartening. We need a fermenting koolaid forum. But the only place to get better discussion is that email forum and its archaic format.

to fully embrace cider, at one point or another you will have to press your own. When you do you won't be pasteurizing it. When you do, i be you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in the quality cider you reap.
++++++++
amen! I do find the endless discussions about tree top quite disheartening. We need a fermenting koolaid forum.
+++++++++

While makinghardcider is not perfect, its pretty dang good for a grad school project. Also check out the authors profile http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/ClaraT She said she is looking for advise from "experts".
As far as brewing store bought "cider", lets not forget not all of us live in apple country (fortunately I do). Brewing store bought cider is still better than brewing no cider. I do agree that brewing fresh pressed cider is better, however.

Hey I don't have any trees or land and there isn't. An orchard for 150 miles but I'm gonna press a years worth this fall...

Back