Jamil's Evil Twin... Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtoive87

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just brewed up some of Jamil's Evil Twin. It was a kit from Northern Brewer. I only have capability to do half-batches, and I've been wanting to try a lager since I got my fermentation chamber. What would you guys think of this malt bill for a red lager? I'll put it in standard 5 gallon amounts (extract based):

7 lbs DME
0.75 lbs Briess Caramel 40
0.375 lbs Briess Caramel 120
0.25 lbs Pale Chocolate

0.25 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.5 oz Columbus (20 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
1 oz Centennial (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (0 min)
1 oz Centennial (0 min)

This gives about 45 IBU's, so I'd definitely tone down the hops... I'd probably cut the 60, 20, and 10 minute additions in half and not do the flameout additions. Not sure about yeast, but I'd probably do some standard lager yeast (German lager maybe?).

Let me know what you guys think.

Did you end up brewing this? Looks like a good recipe to me!

This weekend I am brewing the Evil Twin recipe from the Mr. Malty site except I'm using a slurry of WLP833. Can't wait!

Nope, I never did... The beer was delicious though. I ended up doing the all grain version of the Northern Brewer kit, although it had a considerable bittering charge as opposed to true hop-bursting like Jamil suggests on his web site. The German lager yeast might add some interesting malty complexity as well. Let me know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back