Jamil's ESB - to dry hop or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarantula

Reaction score
I am looking at ESB (Programmer's Elbow) from "Brewing Classic Styles". It lists 2oz hops for 60min and 1oz for 0min. There is no further explanation about "0min", and in the related podcast, there is no mention that I could find of the 1oz. I would appreciate some advice. Is it likely an error, or should I dry hop that 1oz in secondary, or something else?

Usually when people say to boil it for 0 minutes they mean that you add the hops at the same time that you take the wort off of the heat and start cooling it.

Thanks - sadly just pitched yeast an hour ago, so that train has passed by. I realize dry hopping will give different result, but would it be better (as in more appropriate for style) to just leave like it is or to dry hop? OG is 1.062

So if you skipped the 0 min or flameout then dry hopping would be a good idea. Won't be the same but without it you will more than likely find the beer lacking hops as you've only got bittering going on. I'd even consider upping the dry hop quantity. If you have 2 ounces use them.

btw - I'd also skip the secondary and just leave it in the primary the entire ride as that is the current trend in HBT brewing and seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back