Jalapeño APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akira7799

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm brewing this 6 gallon batch on Saturday. All credit for this recipe goes here, although I modified it: http://cheerscharlotte.com/blog-title-number-2/

5 lbs Maris Otter
5 lbs Breiss 2-Row
12 oz Crystal 40
12 oz Special Roast
8 oz Carapils

Mash at 148°F for 60 mins with 5 stemmed/deseeded/depithed and diced jalapeños.
Mash-out at 168°F for 10 mins.
Sparge with 168°F water until 8.5 gallons are collected.

Boiling for 60 minutes. Add 2 stemmed/deseeded/depithed and diced jalapeños.

Hops Shedule
.75oz of CTZ at 60 minutes
1oz of Citra at 5 minutes
1oz of Amarillo at 0 minutes
1oz of Centennial at 0 minutes
1oz of Citra at 0 minutes
1oz of CTZ at 0 minutes

Dryhop schedule
1oz of Citra for 7 days

Add two oven-roasted jalapeños (with seeds and pith--this one "should" really bring the spice) after beer has fully attenuated.

I'll update when I have more info.
Dave

Just an update on the brew day.

I ended up mashing for 75 minutes at 148° and nixing the mash out. However, I forgot about the mash out volume, so I ended up with 5+ gallons starting at 1.050 instead of 6 gallons.

FYI-While dicing the jalapeños, make sure not to cut your finger. It burns. It burns even after washing your hands. The capsaicin is extremely difficult to remove even after washing thoroughly with soap and water. So, no touching of the eyes, face or genitals. I took a leak, scratched my balls and they were on fire for about an hour.

Anyways, the starting wort tastes pretty good. Light spicy notes and good bitterness from the CTZ and Citra hops. The spicy heat "should" come from the oven-roasted jalapeños after attenuation.

I'll keep updating,
Dave

Started dry hopping with 1oz. of Citra, 2 large and 1 small oven-roasted jalapeños when gravity hit 1.010.

I'll let the hops/jalapeños sit for 5 or 6 days.

Beer will stay in fermenter until I'm ready to bottle (another 2 to 3 weeks).

Ended up dry hopping for 6 days with the hops and jalapeños. There are awesome hot spicy notes now that balance well with the hops. I did get more "hot" than hops, but I'm hoping the hops flavors will come out more with a bit of aging.

Are you kegging this? I had a buddy make a jalapeno beer and its was great at first, but the 2nd half of the keg was undrinkable. All the peppery compounds settled down near the bottom and it was like alcoholic hot sauce.

I've done a "mexican hot chocolate" stout with peppers (more smoky than hot) and bottling it turned out very well. The flavors have really melded together nicely over time

I usually make my pepper beers with habaneros or serranos, as I found that jalapenos don't give enough of a kick (after you roast them, as done here). Glad to see you're getting some heat, though.

Patrick87,
I bet homegrown jalapeños would do really well with this beer. Since their homegrown, you'd probably have a better handle on Scoville units and the amount of spice they impart into the beer.

m00ps,
Thanks for the heads-up on the bottling vs. kegging. I was thinking about kegging half the batch and bottle-priming the other half, but I think I'll just bottle all of it now. BTW, is your name from the "Bubble Boy" Seinfeld episode? Costanza, "Ah...so sorry. The moops."

lostcheesehead,
I've had a couple of microbrew jalapeño pale ales (Burley Oak Brewery), but this is my first time brewing one. Hopefully the heat stays. Do you get the heat from "dry-hopping" the habaneros and serranos, or including them in the mash and boil? I only oven-roasted the jalapeños for 12 minutes per side.

Patrick87,
I bet homegrown jalapeños would do really well with this beer. Since their homegrown, you'd probably have a better handle on Scoville units and the amount of spice they impart into the beer.

m00ps,
Thanks for the heads-up on the bottling vs. kegging. I was thinking about kegging half the batch and bottle-priming the other half, but I think I'll just bottle all of it now. BTW, is your name from the "Bubble Boy" Seinfeld episode? Costanza, "Ah...so sorry. The moops."

lostcheesehead,
I've had a couple of microbrew jalapeño pale ales (Burley Oak Brewery), but this is my first time brewing one. Hopefully the heat stays. Do you get the heat from "dry-hopping" the habaneros and serranos, or including them in the mash and boil? I only oven-roasted the jalapeños for 12 minutes per side.

Yeah, its from that bubble boy episode!

Oh definitely dry-hopping the peppers. I can't remember where I read it on HBT, but the sure-fire technique to use peppers in beer is what you are probably already doing: roast the peppers (I do it until they are just starting to blacken), freeze the peppers, then throw them into the beer after active fermentation has subsided.

Dude, m00ps, the last pepper beer I kegged, I wound up with this dark brown pepper-sludge at the bottom of the keg that freaked me the hell out when it came out of the tap. Now I'm thinking I should have dared someone to drink it.

Bottled 5 gallons with 5oz. of dextrose until I got down to the brown peppery gunk layer that m00ps was talking about. I'll update on final taste when it's primed up. At bottling there was really good balance between hops and pepper flavors.

I'll get a photo and tasting notes tomorrow when I get home from work. The couple of young beers I tried were pretty good to ensure proper carbonation. Nice flavor, good heat/malt/hop balance.

I'm also curious to hear how this turns out. It's something I've always thought was completely wrong to have in beer until 2 weeks ago. We went to a brewery for a tasting party and one of them was a Jalapeño ale. surprisingly I liked it but the 5 Oz taster was enough for me. I would like to try a 1 gallon batch though.

A member of the homebrew club i go to made a habenaro ale.
I was suprised at the combination of beer & hot peppers to work so well together.
I like them both individually but REALLY didn't think they would pair well together.
I do not recall her recipe but i wonder if a more bland base malt such as 2-row would work better for this style than the M.O.
Don't get me wrong, i love me some M.O. but i'm thinking the peppers/hops should be the focal point and think the 2-row would let the peppers/hops shine through in the flavor profile a little better.
Thoughts?

Sorry guys, I've been down with a stomach virus all week long. I'd love to pour a glass of my creation, show it off and have a taste, but my stomach would be cursing me for the next day or two.

Maris Otter works very well and balances nicely, but 2-row would work fine.

Okay guys, here it goes. First a picture of the beer:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422761668.234924.jpg

Now, onto the notes:

Appearance: Pours a slightly dull amber with good head retention. Slight lacing can be seen after a few sips.

Aroma: Almost all hop aroma. Floral and strong. Not overpowering, but an ever-present knowledge that you're about to drink an IPA. No grain aroma. Very little to no spice can be sensed at all by the nose.

Flavor: Again, all hops (at first). Strong hop taste, mostly citrus and spice. Balance of malt ties nicely with the hops. There is a bit of sweetness imparted by the malt, but you have to search for it. Balance is definitely won by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with normal carbonation. No sensations in the mouthfeel imparted by the jalapeños. Normal mouthfeel sensations that you'd expect in an IPA.

Finish: Hello Jalapeños! Medium to longer finish deep in the back part of the tongue and top of the throat. Heat with hops. Hotter finish given by the jalapeño not alcohol.

Overall: Very happy with the beer. Will definitely brew again. Received very positive reviews from all of the samplers at my brew-day today. It goes awesome with pizza, chips, and dip.

If you guys have more questions, let me know,
Dave

Glad you were able to use my post as a spring board into brewing your own version! This beer is a super hit at parties, too. Cheers!

Okay guys, here it goes. First a picture of the beer:

View attachment 253117

Now, onto the notes:

Appearance: Pours a slightly dull amber with good head retention. Slight lacing can be seen after a few sips.

Aroma: Almost all hop aroma. Floral and strong. Not overpowering, but an ever-present knowledge that you're about to drink an IPA. No grain aroma. Very little to no spice can be sensed at all by the nose.

Flavor: Again, all hops (at first). Strong hop taste, mostly citrus and spice. Balance of malt ties nicely with the hops. There is a bit of sweetness imparted by the malt, but you have to search for it. Balance is definitely won by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with normal carbonation. No sensations in the mouthfeel imparted by the jalapeños. Normal mouthfeel sensations that you'd expect in an IPA.

Finish: Hello Jalapeños! Medium to longer finish deep in the back part of the tongue and top of the throat. Heat with hops. Hotter finish given by the jalapeño not alcohol.

Overall: Very happy with the beer. Will definitely brew again. Received very positive reviews from all of the samplers at my brew-day today. It goes awesome with pizza, chips, and dip.

If you guys have more questions, let me know,
Dave

Sorry for the delayed response....
Thank you Dave for the tasting notes, I will be brewing this along with my pepper beer.

Thanks again.

Sorry for the delayed response....

Thank you Dave for the tasting notes, I will be brewing this along with my pepper beer.

Thanks again.

Back