Jager Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLoverHere

Reaction score
Anyone ever brew with Jagermeister? If so, let me know how it went and when to add the Jager in the brewing process. I am thinking either the secondary or during bottling, not during primary. Here is my 6 gallon recipe I'll be using. This is very similar to a very successful cream stout recipe I brewed from this website. The original version kicks ass and won some 1st place ribbons. It was a popular post and many people agreed. A lot of my drinking buddies loved it too. Since it was so damn good, part of me is not wanting to experiment with the Jager and the other subtle changes.

This time I am upping the flaked barley and oats in addition to adding some brown sugar, Jager, and then changing the yeast (original recipe had Safale 05). Any opinions on my changes are appreciated. Happy 4th :rockin:

7lbs British 2-row
1lb Roast Barley
1lb Flaked Oats
1lb Flaked Barley
12oz Munich Malt 10L
12oz Chocolate Malt 525L
12oz Crystal 60L
4oz Brown Sugar

total 90 minute boil time

Boil 1/2oz Magnum (13.1AA) for 60 min and 1oz EKG (4.9AA) for 15 min

Boil 1lb lactose 10 min

Pitch London Ale Wyeast 1028 (primary 2+ weeks and then secondary 1 week)

6 oz Jager at bottling

Never brewed with Jager, but 6oz seems reasonable. I have brewed with bourbon and used about a pint, but Jager definitely has a more distinct flavor. If you added it in secondary instead of bottling, you could taste it after a week and add more if needed.

Thanks, I should have thought of that. 6oz is very conservative: 1oz Jager per 1gal Beer should play it safe. Sounds like I'll try secondary and if I want more of a Jager kick I can add more during bottling.

Back