Jaded Hydra/Spike 10 gallon fit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Need to replace my chiller and going to order Jaded Hydra. Can anyone confirm the fit with a Spike 10 gallon V3 kettle? I have the quick connect dip tubes inside so don't know how tight clearance will be.

I have the same setup and it works beautifully. I assume you have the smaller pickup tube that rests on the raised bottom?

I have the same setup and it works beautifully. I assume you have the smaller pickup tube that rests on the raised bottom?

Sure do. I also have one a few inches up that rests against the side as a whirlpool port. Any possible issues here?

Sure do. I also have one a few inches up that rests against the side as a whirlpool port. Any possible issues here?

My hydra fits fine with the pickup tube so as long as your whirlpool doesn't stick out any more I can't see any issue. FWIW, I also have a temp probe that sticks out about 2" and I don't have any issue with the fit.

I was originally looking at the King Cobra since I'm generally only making 5.5 gallon batches in my 15 gal Blichmann and the Hydra will sit above the wort a little bit in that kettle. Maybe Jaded will customize something for me.

I was originally looking at the King Cobra since I'm generally only making 5.5 gallon batches and the Hydra will sit above the wort a little bit in that kettle. Maybe Jaded will customize something for me.

I'm making the same size batch in a Spike 10-gallon kettle, and the hydra is completely immersed in mine. Do you have an especially wide kettle?

just ordered a custom Hydra, anyone know how long it generally takes from order til delivery?

just ordered a custom Hydra, anyone know how long it generally takes from order til delivery?

Was wondering the same thing. I ordered a regular non custom one Friday morning and haven't heard anything still. Even sent an email yesterday with no reply. It does say 3-6 business days just to ship.

I'd love to hear about the process for this (and cost). I have a Brewbuilt kettle with a notch in the lid. When I'm whirlpooling and chilling, I have my current IC arms come up through that notch and drape a tea towel over it to keep bugs out (brew in the garage). It looks like the Hydra feed arms are not set up to be right at the edge of the kettle, so I was thinking about contacting them to get one where they're more even with the outside edge if the cooling coils.

I got a custom made one and it took 9 days from order to delivery. It is very much worth it though. I was able to get from boiling to hop stand temps (160-170) in about 90 seconds and then to pitching temps in about 7-8 minutes.

I got a custom made one and it took 9 days from order to delivery. It is very much worth it though. I was able to get from boiling to hop stand temps (160-170) in about 90 seconds and then to pitching temps in about 7-8 minutes.

My wort chiller leaked chlorinated tap water into my wort last time, that was the last straw.

Impressive. How many gallons do you brew?

I know this is an older post, and it may be a long shot, but any chance someone can post a pic? I'm very interested to see how the hydra fits in the 10 gallon Spike with a vertical temp probe. Thanks!

I know this is an older post, and it may be a long shot, but any chance someone can post a pic? I'm very interested to see how the hydra fits in the 10 gallon Spike with a vertical temp probe. Thanks!

See, here's the thing: how long is that probe? I have a Spike with the stubby probe. It's nowhere near the hydra. If you can tell me how far out the probe sticks, I can tell you if the hydra will clear that.

I didn't want any type of temp probe sticking out from a vertical fitting because I BIAB and I didn't want the bag snagging on that, nor having wort behind the bag I wasn't able to easily stir into the rest.

EDITED TO ADD:

Here's the page showing the dimensions of the Hydra: 11.5" fore-and-aft, 11" port to starboard: https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra

Here's the page showing the 10-gallon Spike kettle, including dimensions. Diameter of kettle: 13.8". Subtract an eighth for wall thickness. https://spikebrewing.com/collection...w-kettle-2-vertical-couplers?lshst=collection

So--if your thermometer probe sticks out 2.5" or less, the hydra will fit.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was curios about. I just wanted to add Spikes standard thermometer which is 2.5".

Anyone know if the Hydra would be fully submerged given 6-6.5 gallons of wort in a 10 gallon Spike boil kettle, sitting on top of a ripple heating element inserted in a TC fitting located 2" from bottom of kettle to center of the port?

The 6.5-gallon mark in my 10-gallon Spike kettle is 10 1/2" above the bottom. The Hydra coils, according to the Jaded Website, is 8" high. https://jadedbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-hydra

That leaves you an extra 1/2" above the coils if you have 6.5 gallons.

BTW, I have both the spike and the hydra.

Great intel, thanks for the quick reply! Thought my decision to go electric might not work well with the Hydra. Seems to me that with the displaced wort caused by the submerged Hydra, it might even be covered at the 6 gallon mark. Worst case, it seems like only the top coil might be poking out. Can't wait to experience the difference between my old, 25' copper IC with occasional stirring and the Spike/whirlpool/Hydra setup. Hopefully it's a game changer.

Back