I've got an idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
I really like arrogant bastard, but I'm not a big fan of Chinook hops. Arrogant Bastard is damn good beer...don't get me wrong. But what if Cascades were used instead? I think I'll give it a try and see what I come up with. Any suggestions?

Go for it - if those are the hops you like, why not use them? It might make for a lighter hop note, but I doubt you'll change the flavor profile that much. AB is very malty - I assume with mostly bittering hops and little flavor/aroma hops.

Cascades isn't much for bittering (about 1/2 the AA of Chinook). May I suggest you try Nugget or Northern Brewer as the bittering hop, then cascades for flavor & aroma?

david_42 said:
Cascades isn't much for bittering (about 1/2 the AA of Chinook). May I suggest you try Nugget or Northern Brewer as the bittering hop, then cascades for flavor & aroma?

That's what I was planning on doing. I'm going to fire up pro-mash this afternoon and work out a hop schedule that produces a similar IBU number. I'm probably going to use nugget for the bittering hops. I used them in my last brew, a SNPA clone, and it came out great. I actually like what I made better than store bought SNPA.

Back