I've got a couple weeks before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekamefink

Reaction score
I've got my carboy sitting on the floor, so it will need to be moved so I can transfer it to a bottling bucket.

My question is when I move it does it need to sit for a while? I assume moving it from the floor to a counter top would stir it up?

Thanks.

I do it the day before... seems to work out fine, just move it gently as possible.

It really doesn't get stirred up too bad if you baby it.

I do it the very first thing on the day I'm bottling. Then I do whatever else I need to do (sanitize bottles, boil sugar water, etc.) before racking to the bottling bucket. That seems to work fine for me. In general the yeast will flocculate out and make a pretty dense cake on the bottom of the fermenter. It doesn't really seem to get very stirred up just by gently moving it to the counter top (or patio table, in my case).

I assume moving it from the floor to a counter top would stir it up?
If it's in the same area/room, it will maybe stir up a bit....put it on the counter ther night before, should be good to go next day no problem. I end up having to move mine from basement to kitchen for bottling (I greatly dislike bottling in my basement for many reasons), and if I give it 24 hrs on the counter, all is well....and a good amount of junk does get stirred back up in transport, no matter how careful I am....no big deal, countertop it a day ahead, heck even a few days ahead, if you have counter space. We have a lot of counter, but my wife doesn't care for fermenting vessels hanging out in the kitchen.....although she doesn't mind the finished product ;)

Moving it a few hours before is best, but I often forget and don't move it until I am ready to transfer. If you are easy with it you won't kick up much if any.

I've also got a few weeks before bottling. Right now my brew is in a plastic bucket, doing its magic. I like the idea of moving the brew the day before. I heard there will be a lot of crud on the bottom of the bucket, and I assume I won't want that in my bottles. I have the bottle filler thing with the little valve on the bottom. I also have some plastic tubing. How will I get the wort out of the bucket and into the bottle? My bucket doesn't have a valve in the bottom. Even if it did, wouldn't all of the crud come out through the valve? I have a siphon, but wouldn't that have the same problem with sucking off the bottom? If I have to transfer to a different bucket that has a valve (I do have one), won't that sir up all the crud again?

I just slide my fermenter forward a couple of inches on it's shelf and let it sit while I sanitize my bottling bucket and prepare the priming sugar. The sediment is undisturbed. I've only done four batches so far but I have transfered no trub to the bottling bucket using this method.

2015-01-11 18.25.24.jpg

I've also got a few weeks before bottling. Right now my brew is in a plastic bucket, doing its magic. I like the idea of moving the brew the day before. I heard there will be a lot of crud on the bottom of the bucket, and I assume I won't want that in my bottles. I have the bottle filler thing with the little valve on the bottom. I also have some plastic tubing. How will I get the wort out of the bucket and into the bottle? My bucket doesn't have a valve in the bottom. Even if it did, wouldn't all of the crud come out through the valve? I have a siphon, but wouldn't that have the same problem with sucking off the bottom? If I have to transfer to a different bucket that has a valve (I do have one), won't that sir up all the crud again?
on the batch I'm going to bottle I used a secondary, I will transfer it to a bottling bucket with the priming sugar and leave the trub on the bottom hopefully.

I am thinking about carefully transferring to a bottling bucket the night before I will be bottling. I'll try to leave all the crud behind. Should I add the priming sugar that night when I transfer, or should I wait until right before bottling?

I am thinking about carefully transferring to a bottling bucket the night before I will be bottling. I'll try to leave all the crud behind. Should I add the priming sugar that night when I transfer, or should I wait until right before bottling?
Set your fermenter on a counter the night before. That'll give it time to resettle.Use your siphon above the crud on the bottom with some tubing going down half-way around the bottom of the bottling bucket. THEN add priming solution. You can't add priming solution till you're ready to bottle, or else it'll start fermenting out & you'll have to wait till it's done again to start over. I have a fermenter stand, so I just put the bottling bucket on the floor beneath the fermenter to rack & prime it. A lot less work that way.

Back