it's very quiet today....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a good one, and good night..Think I'll do the same. Mrs. Monkey has turned out the light in the cage. El P. , once again , it was a pleasure to drink with you. Wish the Sudster could've been here to enjoy it.

wow... i post this message, exchnage a few with BeeGee and then go home. check back in tonight... the "it's very quiet today" thread is on it's second page.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
So you're planning on moving to India after graduation? ;)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....ha...h.....uh.......wait a tic- I might have to!!!!

seriously, my company has invested a bunch in India SW development. PITA to support if you ask me!! I manage an infrastructure server group, and we are constantly getting pinged to change something so that the Indiots can work....I thought this was supposed to save money?!?!?!?!

Truble said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....ha...h.....uh.......wait a tic- I might have to!!!!

seriously, my company has invested a bunch in India SW development. PITA to support if you ask me!! I manage an infrastructure server group, and we are constantly getting pinged to change something so that the Indiots can work....I thought this was supposed to save money?!?!?!?!
First off, good to hear you're working on your masters, fellow IT person. I'll stear clear of economical / political debate, and just say off-shoring is overrated.

As for sucking down employers time? There's not much around here for the net admin to do when things aren't broken :)

ahhh.. there's where you are wrong. You are in the perfect position to CREATE network disasters without anyone knowing. Then you can ride in on your white horse and save the day when people start reporting catastrophic problems. You'll get a nice bonus/raise out of it. (*)

-walker

* I don't really condone this. It was a joke. At a previous job, we actually had somebody DO this kind of thing with a product we were designing. After two or three such amazing "diving catches" by this guy, someone started paying more attention to his day-to-day contributions to the project. He was promptly fired.

Walker said:
ahhh.. there's where you are wrong. You are in the perfect position to CREATE network disasters without anyone knowing. Then you can ride in on your white horse and save the day when people start reporting catastrophic problems. You'll get a nice bonus/raise out of it. (*)

-walker

* I don't really condone this. It was a joke. At a previous job, we actually had somebody DO this kind of thing with a product we were designing. After two or three such amazing "diving catches" by this guy, someone started paying more attention to his day-to-day contributions to the project. He was promptly fired.
That's crazy, although I don't doubt you for a second. I've had other people jokingly suggest this before.

After doing this for a while you develop something along the lines of being sensitive to "the force", and you can hear the cries of your user base as you mercilessly reboot critical servers. (cue deep breathing)

I don't mind the challenges, per se, but when a developer or business chowderhead is telling me that I need to redesign Active Directory because the code source management solution that they are using in India has trouble authenticating over the WAN because it is too chatty, when everything else EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD is working properly, I get a little P.O.'d....

sorry to bring to much work into the forum....

did I mention that I am bottling my first batch tomorrow night?

Truble said:
did I mention that I am bottling my first batch tomorrow night?

Yeah, but I'll wager by your comments that you could use a stiff pint or two right now. :D

-walker

- Insert clever AD quip here -

Woo, grats on your first batch going to bottles. I hope everything goes alright on that front. You'll run out before you know it (I'm on my last handful of my Irish Red :( )

LupusUmbrus said:
- Insert clever AD quip here -

Woo, grats on your first batch going to bottles. I hope everything goes alright on that front. You'll run out before you know it (I'm on my last handful of my Irish Red :( )

that's the plan. I tasted it last saturday when I was checking gravity. I am cautiously excited about it!

I am heading up to the LHBS at lunch today I think to get the ingredients for my next recipe. My primary will be empty tomorrow, and full on Saturday. Gotta keep the train rolling..

BeeGee said:
I'll go so far as to say that I've had enough firsthand bad experiences that I'm not too concerned about the longterm viability of the concept!
Back in my days as a mainframe programmer (when we still submitted our work on punch cards :eek: ) I used to argue with my contemporaries about whether or not a bunch of PCs could do the work of a mainframe. I ran into one of my old COBOL buddies the other day...he's doing very very well in home repair and remodeling. :mad:

Whether or not outsourcing/offshoring produces a quality product, if it puts more money in corporate coffers it will happen...but maybe it won't be as bad a thing as we think.

That's just it...in the several experiences I've been involved in, not only has it not increased margins, but it has actually cost money. We're on try #3 right now. I'm not saying they won't figure out something viable at some point, but not the way it's working right now.

Certain functions might be reliably off-shored at some point, much the way manufacturing went to Mexico and subsequently SE Asia, but I don't believe many companies will trust their critical/more skilled functions to off-shoring based on what I've seen.

I've been wrong many times before, however!

El Pistolero said:
Back in my days as a mainframe programmer (when we still submitted our work on punch cards)

wow.... I tip my hat to you, El. P. That must have been painful.

-walkre

old school, El P! gotta respect it. I did get a chuckle out of that, as I am reading this on my brandy new laptop that work just bought for me to replace my old one. This new machine is SAWEET!!!

Truble said:
old school, El P! gotta respect it. I did get a chuckle out of that, as I am reading this on my brandy new laptop that work just bought for me to replace my old one. This new machine is SAWEET!!!
Ooooh, new toy :D What kind is it?

LupusUmbrus said:
Ooooh, new toy :D What kind is it?
we are a dell shop, since they OEM market some of our products, so I got Dell Precision M70 Widescreen Digital Display;2.13GHZ Pentium M processor w/2GB RAM. Nvidia Quadra 256MB video Just finished building it, at least the base. Running XP PRo, but also run VMWare so that I can run the Longhorn Server and Windows Vista betas as well as Slackware...

BeeGee said:
Dilbert : "I once developed a program in machine code"

Wally : "I wrote one using just ones and zeros"

Contractor: "That's nothing, I once wrote a whole database just using the letter 'oh'!".
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

I think that guy writing in Oh# is one of our developers in India!

Truble said:
we are a dell shop, since they OEM market some of our products, so I got Dell Precision M70 Widescreen Digital Display;2.13GHZ Pentium M processor w/2GB RAM. Nvidia Quadra 256MB video Just finished building it, at least the base. Running XP PRo, but also run VMWare so that I can run the Longhorn Server and Windows Vista betas as well as Slackware...
Ah, very nice. That has mobile gaming machine written all over it :D

Walker said:
I worked on that. Thanks for the support! :)

-walker

well, you are most welcome, and congrats on the product. this is one kick@ss laptop display. I use NVidia in my homebuilts as well, but nothing like this.

sudsmonkey said:
Let me jump in for the Admins. and remind everyone that the Drunken Ramblings zone is for drunks only . If you happen to be drunk at work or school, fine. If not, kindly use the Gen. Chit- Chat area to free this one for the drunks who may be waiting to use it. There are drunks in other time zones who would enjoy the same freedoms we have....... I'm just saying, that's all.....

I want to assure everyone prior to my post that, tonight, I am drinking, and not at school....so that means I can post, right 'Monkey?

Just finished washing 65 12oz bottles. Buying .5L flippers tomorrow.

1 homebrew brown ale (12oz), one homebrew IPA (16oz), two commercial IPAs (12oz).

not DRUNK, but feeling pretty slow.

-walker

I know. Just trying to get caught up. You had enough to qualify tonight? As if somebody died and made me the Beer Police ! I'm heading into my third 40 oz. bottle of Mumbling Monkey Amber Lager. Can't feel my legs. :cross:

nope... i just had one beer with my dinner and that's it. I'm not really much in the mood for a beer I guess. My day wasn't very pleasant.

-walker

sudsmonkey said:
I know. Just trying to get caught up. You had enough to qualify tonight? As if somebody died and made me the Beer Police ! I'm heading into my third 40 oz. bottle of Mumbling Monkey Amber Lager. Can't feel my legs. :cross:

Just don't look down Man.

Just finished my first bottling session. I'm glad that's over. Used only 12oz bottles. Can up just short of 2 cases, which is what I figured for my batch...

total bottled: 45 12 oz and 1 16oz (plastic- to gauge carbonation progess)
total consumed on bottling day: 2 16oz and 2 12oz

Net: ~41 2/3 12oz bottles

Tastes pretty good, and had a nice color. I am celebrating now, having a couple more.

Back