ISO Kulmbacher Mönchshof Schwarzbier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one to me has a little more roasted character than typical Schwarzbiers, almost like a touch of brown porter sneaking in. Like virtually all German commercial brews it's just about impossible to get detailed info about the recipe. What I'd try is a grist with a good bit of dark Munich and a little more dark roasted malt that a "normal" schwarzbier. Bitter to the low 20s IBU with German noble hops or equal (I've put in Mt Hood below because right now you're more likely able to find them in the 5% AA range compared to European varieties) Use your favorite German lager yeast or I'd suggest trying one of the following White Labs strains, WLP-830, WLP-940, or WLP-833. I do a decoction mash on mine if you're into it. If not you can get away with a single infusion but don't go too high, 148-150F might be OK.

Try something like this for starters:

5 Gal US

5.5 lb dark German Munich (10-12L)
3.5 lb German pilsner
.375 lb Carafa II

.75 oz 5%AA German Noble hops @ 60 min
.25 oz %5AA German Noble hops @ 20 min

This one to me has a little more roasted character than typical Schwarzbiers, almost like a touch of brown porter sneaking in. Like virtually all German commercial brews it's just about impossible to get detailed info about the recipe. What I'd try is a grist with a good bit of dark Munich and a little more dark roasted malt that a "normal" schwarzbier. Bitter to the low 20s IBU with German noble hops or equal (I've put in Mt Hood below because right now you're more likely able to find them in the 5% AA range compared to European varieties) Use your favorite German lager yeast or I'd suggest trying one of the following White Labs strains, WLP-830, WLP-940, or WLP-833. I do a decoction mash on mine if you're into it. If not you can get away with a single infusion but don't go too high, 148-150F might be OK.

Try something like this for starters:

5 Gal US

5.5 lb dark German Munich (10-12L)
3.5 lb German pilsner
.375 lb Carafa II

.75 oz 5%AA German Noble hops @ 60 min
.25 oz %5AA German Noble hops @ 20 min

Thanks Ed. Tried to delete this thread as I found another recipe. I like your style points. Will work on it to see what I can come up with. Normally I do ales vs. lagers but good friend of mine asked me to brew this. I will do what I can for them as they would for me.

Back