ISO Alpha Bittering Hop Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruhaha

Reaction score
My wife and I like beers with different hop levels, for example, I like German Pils with 25 IBU and she like a Helles with 15 IBU. So we compromise.....

I made a 10G batch of Helles with a 15 IBU. Beer came out just lovely, bright and clear, but on the low IBU side for me. So we split the batch into two separate 5G soda kegs. Her beer is left as is.

I discovered ISO Alpha Hop Bittering Extract which is designed to adjust IBU levels of beers after fermenting, and not typically to be used in the boil. Recommended not to adjust over 10 IBU's, this adjustment gave me the perfect amount of bittering to fit into my taste range. This extract doesn't offer any hop flavor or aroma, just bittering.

I found this to be an exceptionally useful ingredient in cases as mine, or if you simply miscalculated the hop bill. I found the extract at a company called HopTech.

Latest posts

Back