Is this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a pack of WY3522 from the LHBS and when I got home I noticed the mfg. date was pretty old. Using the online pitching calculators one said the viability was 0% and another said .6%. I went ahead and put it on the stir plate and this is what it looks like after 3 steps.

There are obviously three layers. Is the white layer on the bottom all yeast?

yeast.jpg

Mixture of hot/cold break from the dme and yeast but should definitely be some yeast. Did you see any visual signs of fermentation?

Mixture of hot/cold break from the dme and yeast but should definitely be some yeast. Did you see any visual signs of fermentation?

Tough to say. I pressure can my wort for starters and use a drop of Fermcap in each gallon then put in quart mason jars. Due to the fermcap there's never much of a sign of fermentation in the flask while on the stir plate. Maybe a small ring around the top of the wort but not every time.

How did this yeast do for you? I will be building a starter with it in the near future for a Dubbel I have in the works. Worth adding to the library?

Back