Is this textbook wrong? CO2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldm79

Reaction score
So I have a textbook for foodservice purchasing. It is explaining the presence of Co2 in beverages such as soda, beer, etc, and I came across the following statement. "Soft drinks are produced by injecting (under very high pressure) Co2 gas into sweetened and or flavored water. Carbon dioxide dissolves fairly quickly when the carbonated beverage is not kept under pressure (as is the case when it is served to guests). As the Co2 gas dissolves, it is released as bubbles that float to the top of the beverage. This action gives drinks their characteristic "fizz".

There is also a little description of carbonic acid. "This acid occurs naturally as the carbon dioxide in the beverage dissolves, and is the cause for the slightly sharp, burning sensation..."

My understanding was that gas is being dissolved in the liquid during the carbonation process, and when gas is released its off-gassing? The Carbonic acid description sounds right, but not by their definition of dissolving.
Have I been wrong, or is this textbook just oversimplifying the topic?

The wording in that first paragraph is clearly a mess, CO2 enters solution better with pressure, the fizz occurs when CO2 escapes solution, not dissolves, etc...

Cheers!

So they used the word dissolves wrong. Not surprising, the text is pretty uninformative on a lot of topics

Diffusion refers to migration of material from one part of a system to another along a chemical potential gradient. Thus we would speak of diffusion of CO2 into beer where high CO2 pressure is introduced into the head space of a keg containing uncarbonated beer. And we would also speak of diffusion of one liquid phase into another or of CO2 into the atmosphere or of arsenic into intrinsic silcon in the manufacture of semiconductors or of diffusion of UF6 through a membrane for enrichment. IOW, diffusion can happen with any combination of phases. But once the CO2 is in the beer it is considered dissolved i.e. surrounded by solvent molecules. It would be unusual to speak of the process that takes place when CO2 is released from a bottle into the air as 'dissolving' CO2 into it but it is not at all unusual to speak of dissolving a gas in a liquid or even a solid. If we use a beer stone or pressurize a keg and shake it them we are more likely to call the process 'dissolving' rather than diffusing though at the microscopic level diffusion is, of course, taking place.

Back