Is this safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414973108.667684.jpg

It's windy and cold out. Can I just leave this in here and use it with the door open?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I always brew in the garage with propane. Door open of course, but never been an issue for me, you'll be fine.

Another vote for safe. A carbon monoxide detector would ensure safety. Twenty bucks. Brew on.

I had a CO detector but the gf took it and put it next to the bed room...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brew in the garage all the time. I have a detached garage, so the door is open, and a walk-in door at the other end is also open for air flow. I second the CO detector.

Winter time in my free standing garage I have standard entry door open and garage door up about a foot.

Hold on, guys. I think you're being too hasty in calling this safe.

Is the e-brake on that car engaged?

CO2 is heavier than air so it will go out under a garage door if you leave it open a foot or so. Now if yiu have flammable like an open gas can or something you should have the door open that much.

where does all the moisture go during the boil? It eventually starts rust? Mold? glad I don't have to do my boil in the garage

lol now you got that right.... the original question is answered but the steam is another issue, and I know this from experience with the door closed all but a foot or 2 which is how I've always brewed in the winter it will eventually moisten up the sheet rock and cause stains or mold so a good fan or cross ventilation is not necessary for safety but is better for your garage

Basic Brewing Radio interviewed a technical expert from the National Propane Association on this exact topic. Guess what their answer was. The biggest issue wasn't carbon monoxide, it was the fact that propane cylinders are inherently dangerous and should not be taken into an enclosed space because they tend to spontaneously explode. They recommended keeping the tank outside and using a 20' hose.

While I wouldn't want to downplay spontaneously exploding propane tanks, I do think a CO detector in the garage is a good idea in general, along with open doors and cross ventilation. And I once again find another reason why I love living in SoCal. I'm much more likely to be sunburned while brewing on my patio in the winter than frostbitten.

Basic Brewing Radio interviewed a technical expert from the National Propane Association on this exact topic. Guess what their answer was. The biggest issue wasn't carbon monoxide, it was the fact that propane cylinders are inherently dangerous and should not be taken into an enclosed space because they tend to spontaneously explode. They recommended keeping the tank outside and using a 20' hose.

While I wouldn't want to downplay spontaneously exploding propane tanks, I do think a CO detector in the garage is a good idea in general, along with open doors and cross ventilation. And I once again find another reason why I love living in SoCal. I'm much more likely to be sunburned while brewing on my patio in the winter than frostbitten.

I hope this was just poor choice of wording and you're not actually saying that propane tanks TEND to explode... as in its a common occurance. Also, if a propane tank explodes, I want to be more than 20 feet away, or just be right beside it and get it over with. 20' away and you're just going to have a miserable life with a piece of LP tank shrapnel lodged in your face.

You have a much better chance dieing in a wreck on the way to exchange your tank than you do from a tank exploding. Brew on.

I hope this was just poor choice of wording and you're not actually saying that propane tanks TEND to explode... as in its a common occurance. Also, if a propane tank explodes, I want to be more than 20 feet away, or just be right beside it and get it over with. 20' away and you're just going to have a miserable life with a piece of LP tank shrapnel lodged in your face.

You have a much better chance dieing in a wreck on the way to exchange your tank than you do from a tank exploding. Brew on.

Sorry, just being facetious. I've never heard of a propane tank spontaneously exploding, and I'm within exploding distance of lots of propane tanks every day. However, it really was the expert's opinion that they were highly dangerous. He also pointed out that it was illegal to store more than 2 1-pound tanks indoors, which I imagine will surprise a lot of people, including the grocery and hardware stores that stock them. I found his attitude about the safety of the tanks and lack of knowledge about CO risks a bit odd for one of the top representatives for the National Propane Association, but maybe it was legal thing.

Sorry, just being facetious. I've never heard of a propane tank spontaneously exploding. However, it really was the expert's opinion that they were highly dangerous. He also pointed out that it was illegal to store more than 2 1-pound tanks indoors, which I imagine will surprise a lot of people, including the grocery and hardware stores that stock them. I found his attitude about the safety of the tanks and lack of knowledge about CO risks bit odd for one of the top representatives for the National Propane Association, but maybe it was legal thing.

My apartment complex sent around a letter telling us that we're allowed to have grills outside... but that it is illegal to store propane tanks or charcoal inside or outside. :confused:

Like everyone else is saying, a carbon monoxide detector will do fine. I've been brewing just like you all summer long with my door wide open. I wish my garage was just as clean as yours.

you can brew in the back of the garage with the door open if you want no problemo..i brewed in my garage last night 90 min boil with the door halfway open and im here writing this reply alive and well..cheers

I brew in my basement right by my walk out patio door. I keep a CO detector just in case nearby and have never had any issues. Propane burns clean (by comparison). Lots of rural homes even use them on their range stoves. No worries! Just make sure you have some kind of ventilation. Happy brewing!

If you can't find a co detector, just get a rat dog. Co is heavier than air and lies low. That's the REAL reason why it's called knockout.

Don't send me hate mail. this is a parody post not to be taken seriously. I don't have any dog, rat or otherwise. I do not promote using animals in this way, except for the sole purpose of humorous discussion, If you think killing dogs is funny you need immediate medical attention

I always brew in my garage. Door fully open, burner near the entrance.

Gotta watch out for those spontaneously exploding propane tanks though. Kind of annoying how often that happens. Like, 50% of the time, easily. The trip to the ER really puts a damper on a good brew day. Getting ready to install a blast shield on my brew stand.

I always brew in my garage. Door fully open, burner near the entrance.

Gotta watch out for those spontaneously exploding propane tanks though. Kind of annoying how often that happens. Like, 50% of the time, easily. The trip to the ER really puts a damper on a good brew day. Getting ready to install a blast shield on my brew stand.

Between the glass carboys and the propane tanks I'm surprised any homebrewers can get health/life insurance. It's worse than para-scuba diving from experimental suborbital space craft.

This is funny stuff.
Seriously though the problem is not that propane tanks explode it more that they can vent and then cause an explosion or suffocation or just generally a bunch of damage. Ask any one that has left a co2 tank in a car on a hot day what kind of damage that can cause. You don't want one of these things venting inside. :cross:

This is funny stuff.
Seriously though the problem is not that propane tanks explode it more that they can vent and then cause an explosion or suffocation or just generally a bunch of damage. Ask any one that has left a co2 tank in a car on a hot day what kind of damage that can cause. You don't want one of these things venting inside. :cross:

That is a serious concern, and one mentioned by the propane expert on the BBR podcast. Overfilling and venting, though overfilling is much less likely nowadays with the new tank design. But most homebrewers only tend to bring them into the garage because it's FREAKIN' COLD. Otherwise they'd be brewing on their patio. Though if you're brewing on the patio in the sun in the heat you're back to the venting issue. While I don't think they really explode all that often you do have to treat them with respect.

Back