Is this pump ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I just can't seem to understand if this is alright for NSF type work or not. Not worried about using this for hot water, because I wouldn't. I mainly want it for transfering my beer from one place to another instead of having to use a siphon. It says stainless steel pump housing. I don't know, sure the price is low. Sure a couple of other things that make me think it wouldn't work. But let me know what you think.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

09576.gif

That is a nice idea and that is cool that it has threads on the inside and outside so you use a male or female connector.

Would be nice if it was AC powered though.

I think the oxygen police might stop you if you are planning to use this for transfers after fermentation is done though.

P.S. looks like this guy had the same idea: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/12v-dc-pump-34418/

I have that same pump. I don't use it for brewing though. FWIW, it's not designed for continuous use and it reaquires a substantial power supply as it draws upwards of 7 amps on start up. That means a big 12 dc power supply or a car battery. It's not a mag drive so it will be difficult to sanitize properly. On the plus side, it's self priming and will push liquids against substantial head pressure. I think it's rated up to 50 psi on the output. I would choose a March or Little Giant although they are much more expensive. The Harbor Frieght pump is also very noisy amd annoyingly so.

Man, march pumps are so expensive though! I know they can do a lot, but jesus. I could make like 10 batches of beer for all that money. What series can do the heat of a sparging wort?

Man, march pumps are so expensive though! I know they can do a lot, but jesus. I could make like 10 batches of beer for all that money.

It's called - you get what you pay for. The Harbor Freight pump is NOT designed for potable water use since it will leak some grease into the fluid during transfer.

What series can do the heat of a sparging wort?

The 809 series. Norther Brewer sells a version with and without a plug for less ($120.99).

Matt,
A couple of things. First, for pricing, check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/march-pumps-130462/

Second, There are people that have used this pump for all parts of the brewing process with varying degrees of success. If you do a search on this pump, this subject has been debated extensively. I personally was using it to recirc ice water through my IM. Was being the operative word. It worked for a batch and a half. It probably ran for about an hour total. About 20 minutes into the second batch (not on the same day), the motor got very hot and it locked up. So, $30 on sale, down the drain. Also, I have a power supply to run my 12VDC control valves. It was not strong enough to run the pump properly so I was using a battery. I will not buy one of these pump again. I would save up and buy a pump that willl handle the job, Little Giant, March, or one of the others. Until then, maybe you can change your process to have to siphon less. On the bright side, because of the loss of my cooling loop, I started looking into "no chill" brewing and decided to try a hybid process. After one batch, I'm hooked. Good Luck - Dwain

Matt,

You must be on a fairly tight budget these days as many of us are. I am too. Anyway, if you can scrounge up the money for a March or Little Giant I say go for it. It will save you a lot of time and effort and will inevitably lead you find other uses for it in your system. That said, regarding the tight budget issu; hold on to your A$$$ and your credit cards. There is no end to the brewing gadgets and equipment. It gets to be like Christmas every time you see the UPS truck pull up. I $hit you not on this.

For transfer I would want one of these SELF PRIMING PUMP WITH VARIABLE SPEED @ Williams Brewing , pricey yes but self priming and has a filter.

A better bet would be fermenting in a keg (corny or sanke) and using CO2 to transfer. My last brew I split between a better bottle and a corny keg. What a pleasure it was to transfer from keg to keg with CO2. At some point I want to switch to keg or SS conical only for that reason.

For transfer I would want one of these SELF PRIMING PUMP WITH VARIABLE SPEED @ Williams Brewing , pricey yes but self priming and has a filter.

A better bet would be fermenting in a keg (corny or sanke) and using CO2 to transfer. My last brew I split between a better bottle and a corny keg. What a pleasure it was to transfer from keg to keg with CO2. At some point I want to switch to keg or SS conical only for that reason.

The big issue with that pump is this..

Temperature Warning: This pump has a maximum working temperature of 110° F, so it cannot be used for hot wort transfer. For a food grade pump that is not self priming, but will withstand the heat, see our R93 Transfer Pump (click this link).

For that price you could get a March anyways.

This is good advice. Racking from keg to keg is also a good way to improve beer clarity by leaving debris behind. The real beuty of this is being able to move and/or transport the kegs without re-suspending stuff that has settled out during conditioning. I've found this particularly useful when making IPA's or when dry hopping with pellets. I don't use a hop bag or strainer, so this really improves things.

Back