Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeacherBrew

Reaction score
Is this normal or a sign of infection?
C21E8622-F689-48BA-B50C-5DDD8B83FF55_zps116lnhlv.jpg

Recipe is 10 lbs of honey, three vanilla beans, and dried sweet orange peel. Pitched with white labs sweet mead yeast on five gallons of spring water.

That looks like normal krausen to me, but I am not a mead person, so I will defer to someone with experience.

It all depends on the yeast you use. Foaming is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about unless it startings getting to the top of the air lock and then you may be better with a blowoff, a tube going to a pail that has water or whatever in it covering the tube end but space to catch excessive foaming action. Generally though you are good without that.

This looks sexy :) When my gravity is above 1.1 i usually need a blow off hose, there is to much foam and it blocks the tiny hole in the in the airlock.

This foam is called krausen and it is a sign that fermentation has started. It's basically proteins from fermentation. Do read up about it online :)

what I am brewing now, I had to move from carboy back to my kettle for like 8 days or so, because of that krausen getting violent and trying to blow the lid off like 4 hours after pitching. :)

I know what Krausen is, I just didn't think it happens in mead. I'm still new to mead brewing. So far no blow outs just happy bubbling.

You're good! I'm with ReDim on this one though above 1.1 I'd go with the blow off just in case but otherwise looking great.

Latest posts

Back