Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCreekBeer

Reaction score
My Brother and I started brewing Sept 10th.
As of Today, we have brewed 8, 5 Gallon Batches.
Seems like it may be a bit much...
However, we are having a blast even though we only been able to drink one batch so far, and it is fantastic.

So far we have brewed (in order)
American Brown (delicious)
Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone
Sam Adam's Winter Clone
Irish Red
Irish Red (different recipe)
Gold Coast Pale Ale
Vanilla Porter
Blonde Ale

I am really curious if this is typical for new brewers, or are we just obsessed?

It only gets worse. In a good way, of course. I did 20 gallons last week!

That's a lot!

Positive, you're gaining experience and will have loads of beer ready to drink.

Negative, if you have a problem you won't know about it and it may make it's way through quite a few batches.

I can't stand drinking the same beer all the time, no matter how good it is. Sounds like you have a good variety there to choose from now!

I started a few months ago, and I'm sliding into madness

Wait til you start having nightmares after brew day. Happened to me twice already - I have a terrible dream that I ruined my newly-made brew.

lou2row said:
So you have 20 cases of empty bottles ready for when all these beers are ready to go? Well then rock on.

Thats what I was thinking!! I am getting ready to place a large order and amp up my pipeline and I am in the middle of cleaning and delabeling 20 cases......it sucks. I just started brewing about 8 months ago and I felt the same way I couldn't wait to get to the next brew, good luck man and welcome to the obsession!

btw... what does normal have to do with any of us? :D

Completely agree...

For the OP, are you brewing extract or all grain? Once you have all the hardware for all grain, the batch costs is much lower. Plus you have more control over the recipe. If you're not using your own recipes, just wait until you get to drink something that is. :D

If you're not completely obsessed with brewing yet (although it sounds like you are) you will be soon. You can also easily branch out into meads and such.

BTW, I'm not able to brew as much as I would like since I need to do it at a brew-buddy's place. My ashole LL won't let me brew at my place. Luckily, I found my brew-buddy, so I get to brew about every other weekend. I'm able to maintain a solid pipeline now, especially with kegging. :rockin:

Sounds about normal but that doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Like a few others mentioned, that is a lot of bottles you will be needing soon and if something is off you will be ten batches in before you realize it. Unless you are going to be giving a ton of beer away or drinking an incredible amount you may end up at some point not brewing for a while to balance it out.

I brew usually every two weeks but if I am working a lot or don't have many people over my pipeline can get full and that's with a keezer that can hold 6 kegs and a ferm chamber that holds two carboys. Slow down and enjoy your brewing so you don't burn out fast.

We have noticed a few oversights as we have gone along and adjusted as needed, so hopefully nothing horrible happens to any of our batches of brew.
We do have 2 batches that we have been enjoying, everything seems to be great so far.
As far as bottles go...We have bottled 4 batches already, and let me tell you, it has been absolutely miserable having to drink case after case of beer to stock up on bottles:D
It is true, that I am growing tired of cleaning bottles already, and think I might actually break down and buy some bottles, as we should have 3 batches to bottle this coming weekend

Completely agree...

For the OP, are you brewing extract or all grain? Once you have all the hardware for all grain, the batch costs is much lower. Plus you have more control over the recipe. If you're not using your own recipes, just wait until you get to drink something that is. :D

If you're not completely obsessed with brewing yet (although it sounds like you are) you will be soon. You can also easily branch out into meads and such.

BTW, I'm not able to brew as much as I would like since I need to do it at a brew-buddy's place. My ashole LL won't let me brew at my place. Luckily, I found my brew-buddy, so I get to brew about every other weekend. I'm able to maintain a solid pipeline now, especially with kegging. :rockin:

The plan from the beginning was to go all grain after 10 batches...I don't think either of us thought we would have reached 10 batches so quickly.
It might be a few more batches before we take that next step.

We have started a couple of our own recipes, a few altered recipes, and my last batch was one I created from scratch (interested in seeing how that one turns out).

We were lucky to have the ability to lager right out the gates, so we do have 2 lagers going right now.

Kegging and whole grain is the ultimate goal, just going to be a bit into the future before we put it all together.

I brewed up two 5 gal batches this weekend. Dont worry your in good company :mug: As for bottles use oxi clean to get the labels off. I leave em sit for about 5 hours in oxiclean and the labels are floating in the water. Just make sure to rinse em really good

sounds like you need to invest in some kegs asap.. i'm not a keg fanboi, i use both kegs and bottles, though with that much in your pipeline may be a good idea to let some age in other mediums as well

sounds like you need to invest in some kegs asap.. i'm not a keg fanboi, i use both kegs and bottles, though with that much in your pipeline may be a good idea to let some age in other mediums as well

Bottles are free kegs are just another expense.

Time is money.

I understand both sides.
I do hate cleaning bottles, and bottling takes alot of time. I do enjoy bottled beer, but kegging would be so much more efficient.
I do already have a keg fridge, with tank, regulator, and tap, it is just currently being used for lagering.
I just need to buy some gear to make it home brew friendly.
Give me a couple weeks :)

I understand both sides.
I do hate cleaning bottles, and bottling takes alot of time. I do enjoy bottled beer, but kegging would be so much more efficient.
I do already have a keg fridge, with tank, regulator, and tap, it is just currently being used for lagering.
I just need to buy some gear to make it home brew friendly.
Give me a couple weeks :)

Do you use oxyclean? really its not that much effort to clean bottles with the holy oxyclean.:D

Do you use oxyclean? really its not that much effort to clean bottles with the holy oxyclean.:D

Yea, use the oxyclean and the vegetable peeler for those stubborn bottles (Breckenridge) but I don't have the patience or sink space for 5 hour soakings, can only get about 11 bottles in my little old sink at a time, and I refuse to use the bathtub (bad back).

I use a large cooler to soak my bottles. Just as another option for soaking. I'm working on moving to kegs myself though.

Back