is this normal/good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohen_fetters

Reaction score
So I am building my very first brew stand so that I can brew my first all grain batch. I have based my design of the Wallace brew stand build and am up to the point of mounting my burners. I went for a test run tonight and have some questions first off I am running a BG14 under my keggle. I started it up tonight and noticed the angle iron beginning to glow around the burner and the bottom of the keg as well. I don't have any windscreens at the moment and I was wondering if it is normal and safe? Secondly I don't know how to set the burner at the best height. right now where i have it set i got my water from about 65 to 90* in just under 8 minutes is that a good start or does it need adjusted?

Thanks in advance for any input. Here are a couple pics

I can't tell you about ramp up time with a burner setup. But, you shouldn't be heating up your stand like that. Someone here I'm sure is a metallurgist and can give you details on annealing, tempering, impacts of oxygen on heated steal, and even probably pretty accurately tell you how hot that steel is by its color. Not me. May be completely harmless given how much stress that area is taking or may result in eventual failure. But, when you put on a windscreen that should take the heat and who cares if that gets trashed as it isn't holding 12 gallons of boiling sugar water.

The bottom of the keg was turning red? Did you have water in it? I definitely don't think that should be happenening

Methinks you need to dial back your burner from looking at the picture of the flames. Look for the instructions on adjusting the blichmann burner as you have the same banjo assembly. If you want I can measure the height of my blichmann burner vs the bottom of the kettle if you want.

Also having your burner up that high wastes a lot of gas, and as mentioned getting your stand and keg red hot is not the greatest thing, and indicated wasted heat...

Edit: burner height 2-7/8" from tips of jets to where the kettle rests.

Thanks guys for the replies. I adjusted mine to just about 3". I am currently working on a test book as we speak it is going better I think. Not so much orange I am throttling back the reg a little. I'm on minute 28 since I fired the burner up and am at 168* is that good or should I change something

That angle looked like it was galvanized... if ti is turning red you are burning off the zinc and can poison yourself with flu like symptoms... Make sure to burn this off outdoors at full burn! Once it is burnt off it is safe!

And my burners turn the center supports(plain steel) red when I am running at max to bring things to a boil or to heat mash/sparge water. But I have the BG-10 jet burners(noisy! don't try making a phone call with them running!)

Was burning outside a couple days ago. Maybe that's why I am sick now. I will fire it up tomorrow and just let it burn off everything

Back