Is this mold? New Guy - 6 days in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury413rb

Reaction score
Being a total new guy but I am concerned. Last night I checked on the beer. The krausen was nearly all gone and no airlock activity. My hydrometer hasnt come in the mail yet so I cant check SG.

Added the pictures of what I think could be mold in the neck. The white splotch. About a quarter inch of sediment in the bottom and the color changes drastically from top to bottom.

In the basement - fermometer says 64 degrees and it was an IPA kit.

1962724_10103409218445838_1771847124_n.jpg

1800324_10103409218550628_1723410181_n.jpg

1970451_10103409218341048_4257170_n.jpg

Looks like a bunch of yeast. What you see in the neck is hydrated yeast from what stuck to the side when you poured it in. And everything else looks like left over krausen ring. And the color change you're talking about is your beer starting to clear and the yeast starting to settle out.

So just relax and wait for that hydrometer to come in the mail!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like yeast, but I have to say I've never seen a krausen ring below the surface level. Did you top it of with water mid-ferment? anyone else know how that would happen?

Looks like yeast, but I have to say I've never seen a krausen ring below the surface level. Did you top it of with water mid-ferment? anyone else know how that would happen?

I was going to ask the same thing. I don't think I've ever seen that either. Not that I have this vast amount of experience, but still.

OP, I have gotten yeast stuck in the neck before. I generally will take a little star san from a spray bottle or some bottled water and just try to rinse it down. I don't use much, I don't want to mess the beer up.

Thanks for the responses guys. I did add boiled and cooled water after one day of fermentation. I had about a half gallon in the jug as I started with 1 gallon in the boil and didnt replace as it boiled off. My friend convinced me to be careful and add more water. I resanitized the funnel, bung and airlock when I added the water. Airlock activity was strong for another three days after. I know that isnt a good judge but once I get the hydrometer I can start checking. Next batches will be better!

I wasnt worried about the krausen rings(seen a lot in the pictures on this forum) just that white stuff up in the neck. Glad to know it looks like leftover yeast.

The girlfriend ordered the hydrometer when I mentioned I needed one. Unfortunately the LHBS is only 20 minutes away but hey the thought counts right? Heading there this weekend to get more ingredients to get my other gallon jugs going.

Buy another hydrometer when you're there. They are glass and well eventually you'll break one. Always good to have a backup.

Just throwing it out there, since I started doing one gallon batches I stopped using hydrometers altogether and got a refractometer. All you need is a drop of liquid to test rather than a cup or so. It doesn't make a difference with 5 gallon batches but I hate taking big samples from my small batches. They run about $35 and up, but it's a good investment IMO.

Buy another hydrometer when you're there. They are glass and well eventually you'll break one. Always good to have a backup.

I'm clumsy so sounds like a good idea.

I also like the above post of a refractometer. Definitely not much beer to spare in a gallon! I'll check out what the store has. I would much rather buy local than online. Prefer to support local businesses and also drink local beer :mug:

Just throwing it out there, since I started doing one gallon batches I stopped using hydrometers altogether and got a refractometer. All you need is a drop of liquid to test rather than a cup or so. It doesn't make a difference with 5 gallon batches but I hate taking big samples from my small batches. They run about $35 and up, but it's a good investment IMO.

Be aware that refractometers are not accurate post fermentation. You'll still want to use a hydrometer then, much as it sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back