Is this hop ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoZiT

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops, so I'm not experienced enough to judge for myself.

So I've been watching my hops grow. I cut one open about once a week to check the yellow lupulin glands. This week, the powder seems to be starting to collect at the base of the cone, visible without even touching the flowers. The grassy smell is finally starting to smell like hops, too.

I suppose I just need some reassurance. I was thinking these might be ready. However, I looked up "lupulin" on google images, and these clearly do not seem ready. I've watched videos on the squeeze method to test if they are ready. I guess I'm just eager and don't want to let them go to long, and need some reassurance, and... RDWHAHB, I guess...

thumb1_photo-55863.jpg

I think you need to post a smaller picture :D. I'm in the same boat with a few different hop plants... so I am subscribed.

In my short, 2 yr of experience, you are a little premature. That picture appears to be just a LITTLE immature. Wait another week or two. A couple hops on the vine should be browning @ the tips. If a majority of them brown up, you have waited too long.

Thanx!

Yeah, some of the photos on google had tons of lupulin, but I thought maybe those were best if the best examples.

I'll wait a little while longer. Kinda like my first brew... Waiting is the hardest part. Thanx again!

I'll see if I can swap out the pic later. I orig planned on using a photo site that automatically does that sort of thing. Sorry for load time/data.

Back