Is this ground too fine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
Got my new Rebel Grain mill and this is what the grain looks like with factory settings.... Much finer than I am used to lhbs.

ForumRunner_20120318_121601.jpg

The best way to find out is to brew a batch. You'll know if you get a stuck sparge that it is too fine. If you don't get a stuck sparge, try adjusting it finer until you do and then back it off a bit. I'd be tempted to do a half size batch just in case it does give problems.

What is wrong with that pic? Looks like your are shooting through a fence.

Fine grind is great as long as your sparging and lautering will allow it.

Batch spargers can tolerate a much finer grind than fly spargers.

Braids might clog, but false bottoms will probably be OK with very fine grinding.

Looks very similar to my grind.

I had always read that you wanted it cracked and not crushed, this was crushing totally the maris otter, adjusted it a bit and think I have it set now...

No whole or uncrushed grains is what you want. Grab a sample in your hand and closely examine to determine that all, or very close to all of the grain pieces have been crushed, cracked whatever, and that no grain pieces remain intact in the husk.

No whole or uncrushed grains is what you want. Grab a sample in your hand and closely examine to determine that all, or very close to all of the grain pieces have been crushed, cracked whatever, and that no grain pieces remain intactin the husk.

All this talk of higher efficiency convinced me to tighten up my Barley Mill crusher setting. It was on factory preset since I bought it. Tried turning it closer by 1/4 turn nothing would feed. Same thing 1/8 turn tighter. Back to factory setting and still sometimes it won't feed well. Have to shake it, push down on grain, reverse the rotation. Screw trying to save a pound of grain for higher efficiency it ain't worth it!

bmickey said:
I had always read that you wanted it cracked and not crushed, this was crushing totally the maris otter, adjusted it a bit and think I have it set now...

I thought I had read...maybe not... I know I hit my numbers today preboil so all is good!

Thanks all...

Latest posts

Back