Is this good hydrometer reading its a simple homebrew/store made wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scullyjunior

Reaction score
Hey guys i posted a pic few days ago if my simple cheap made wine bought everything from the store which i seen a guy on youtube do he also does alot of beer brewing and such and wanted to show how you could make your cheap own grocery store wine and this is what mine is reading on the hydrometer. 2liters of fruit punch, 2-1/2 cups of sugar and 2 tablespoons of yeast been going for 7days now all help appreciated new to this

image.jpg

Looks like you've got a good sugar content, but most prepared fruit punch beverages are going to have preservatives that will inhibit your yeast. Also, what yeast did you use? I started out making wine with items from the store and wasn't really happy with it, but everyone has their own tastes, so good luck with that. Look for ingredients that are 100% juice with no preservatives or additives. Many frozen juice products are available as well as the "Simply" juice products like Simply apple, simply cranberry and etc.
If your wine is burbling away and you didn't use juice with preservatives, just let it sit and don't mess with it until its done. Good Luck!

In addition to what others have posted, if it's not mostly real fruit juice, the sugars won't contain enough free amino nitrogen to keep the yeast healthy thoughout the fermentation. In that case, it'll probably stall out before it fully ferments.

So, if it's been going for 7 days, what kind of yeast activity have you noticed so far? Any bubbling, foam, etc? Looks like your hydrometer's at 1.055, which seems high for a mix like that after a week.

Back