Is this ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatty Brewer

Reaction score
Greetings,
This is my first all grain brew and I couldn't have done it without this site. Thank you for all the help. It started as,what else, Ed Wrt's HPA. But this is what I could get at the LHBS:
8# Two row Pale
2# Vienna
1# Crushed Crystal L49-64
cascade pellet hops 1oz at 60 min and 1oz at 30 min
Wyeast British ale blend (starter)

Other than adding the the whole bag of crystal and melting the end of my spoon all went well. The OG for 5 gal was 1.060,the BG 1.050 with as much wort as I dared gather in my 30qt pot. Is that 74% efficiency? With the dark color and cascade hops can I call it ESB? Or maybe just Beer ;)

Sounds like it'll be a nice beer, but I wouldn't call it an ESB. Vienna malt is nice, but not *really* appropriate for the style. The Cascade hops, though, are the biggie; ESB's got to have some kind of English variety. Probably closest to an American Amber with the color and the hops.

American amber ale is a good call. Tasty Brew shows all red in the style comparison, but it mostly matches BJCP guidlines.

Back