Is this burner strong enough for 2 bbl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Dog

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing some brewing in a soon to open brewpub. 2 bbl batches. Going electric is off the table (it's a long story short, but we can't do it). Now I'm looking for burners that will be strong enough to bring 2 bbl batches to a boil. I'm not quite sure what the BTU power will need to be (using NG). I was thinking that I would build a brewstand and install some jet burners, but the engineer has informed me that if I build it, it will need a very pricey inspection. We're in Canada and everything requires CSA approval. So, now I'm looking at commercial kitchen burners and wondering if any will be strong enough (to bring to a boil and support the weight). Would something like this work?

3 RING GAS COMMERCIAL STOCK POT BURNER 18" RANGE W/ 6" LEGS (79,000 BTU burner) http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIANCE-TAS...-/381544106047

We'll be using 55 gallon Blichmann kettles with the extensions that increase the volume to 2 bbl.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Using this calculator may help you with your decision

http://www.phpdoc.info/brew/boilcalc.html

That's a pretty cool calculator. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if it's still accurate at the volume I'm trying. As a test, I put in 12,000 ibu/hr at 30% efficiency for 70 gallons (starting at room temp) and it's still showing that a boil is achievable. Not quite sure that is true.

Also not quite sure what efficiency I should use.

That's a pretty cool calculator. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if it's still accurate at the volume I'm trying. As a test, I put in 12,000 ibu/hr at 30% efficiency for 70 gallons (starting at room temp) and it's still showing that a boil is achievable. Not quite sure that is true.

Also not quite sure what efficiency I should use.

Can't help with 2 barrels, but a BG14 is enough to get 20 gallons to a rolling boil on natural gas in two spots with a 26 gallon pot and a 3/4" supply up til about 20' beforeit goes to 1/2" for about 10' and then it splits 3 ways at 1/2" on a brutus style stand

i know that doesn't tell you 70 or 80 gallons or however much you plan to do preboil in one kettle, but its definitely doable with 2 BG14s to do a barrel, so if you can fit 2 bgt14s under one kettle and give them enough gas it probably works

e: just realized 2 bbl, not 2 1/2 bbl

I recently upgraded my NG burner from 32 to 44 tips. Does a respectable job getting 75 gal in my 80 gal kettle to a boil. I would not go with anything smaller unless you have a ton of time on brew day to sit around staring at your pot while it slowing heats up.

Bought it from Glacier Tanks in Vancouver, WA.

44 tip.jpg

Nice, looks pretty hardcore! It definitely looks like it would do the trick, I'd just have to find something similar that is assembled and approved as is.

I recently upgraded my NG burner from 32 to 44 tips. Does a respectable job getting 75 gal in my 80 gal kettle to a boil. I would not go with anything smaller unless you have a ton of time on brew day to sit around staring at your pot while it slowing heats up.

Bought it from Glacier Tanks in Vancouver, WA.

Back