Is this boil vigorous enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricelessbrewing

Brewer's Friend Software Manager
Reaction score
Link to mp4 snapchat video. http://www.mp4upload.com/p105somk3wy3
It seems it tries to stream it as well, but I just got all black screen. There's a download link below that, and I just tested it and it worked.

Just moved to apartment about two weeks ago. Discovered today that the electric stovetop CAN boil 6G of water.
preboil volume 13", 2.13 inch/gal. =6.1G
Post boil volume 11.25" 2.13 inch/gal =5.282 G.

Seems adequate, as I often see a boil off rate listed as between .5-1.5G /hour.

So I assume the minimum vigorousness of the boil would correspond to .5G/hr? While this is closer to 1G/hr with a 30qt pot, 11.75" in diameter.

Dunno how/if I can attach videos, but I have a 10 sec snapchat .97 MB of the boil near the end.

Instead of topping off with water after the boil. Could I start with 5G boil, and add Boiling water slowly during the boil to offset the evaporation?

Would be something like this
Get strike temp. Dough in. Mash. Drain. Sparge.
Add sparged bucket to pot.
Starting volume ~4.5G after grain absorpotion, then up to 5 for a half gallon sparge. Will sparge with the remaining 2.25G then bring to a boil in a separate pot and add to main pot occasionally in order to maintain a vigorous boil.

0 minutes add .5G+.2 to get to 5.2G (.2G being the boil rate/15min)
15min add .2G
30min add .2G
45min add .2G
55 min, check volume with dipstick and add requisite boiled wort from other pot. Top off from coffee kettle.

I have an electric kettle for coffee which holds 8cups I believe, as well as various pitchers and smaller pots I could boil with then pour into the large pot.

Awesome. Now it took nearly an hour to get there from hot tap water, maybe I'll look into insulating it or making a heat stick or both.

Judging boil rate visually is not easy. You're better off using boil off as your gauge. I wouldn't be happy with anything less than 1 gallon per hour.

Back