Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jude3223

Reaction score
Hello, i recently started fermenting a brown ale and after the 8th day i took a sample using the tap on my fermenting bucket to see the specific gravity. Along with the beer a small amount of what looked like gelatinous fluff also poured into the cup, its hard to explain what this looked like and in retrospect i probably should have took a photo. It kind of looked like hair covered in jelly with little black dots on it. It only came out for the first few millilitres and then it appeared normal. After this i took a short peak into the fermenting bucket and took a photo, attached below. It honestly smells delicious so i cant detect anything off of that, although i am a beginner. Does the image i posted bellow indicate if its infected or not? Im just unsure so any opinions are helpful!
Many thanks, Jude. :mug:
berr.jpg

Assuming the white spots at 8 o'clock is a camera vs lighting thing, it looks perfect.
Stop opening the bucket, and carry on :)

Cheers! (And welcome to Homebrew Talk! :mug: )
I thought it looked fine but thanks for the confirmation! I wonder what that jelly hair thing was, ill take another sg reading tomorrow and see if any comes out then. :thumbsup:

When you use the spout on your fermenter, beer will dry up. It’s still got a lot of sugar in it if early in the fermentation. Kinda like leaving honey out on the counter. Every sort of creepy crawly and dust are going to be attracted to it like a magnet. Make sure to thoroughly clean the spout before bottling. It’s not abnormal to get crap out of the exterior of the spout if you use it and don’t clean it afterwards.

The stuff in the spout shouldn’t actually be inside the beer.

Latest posts

Back