Is this bacteria or yeast growing back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suited_Up

Reaction score
I transferred to the secondary today. Maybe 5 hours ago... I got home and looked at it, and saw this, is this bad or normal do you think?

2011-04-15172950.jpg

It looks like co2 bubbles coming up from the bottom. I get this with every brew. Relax, don't worry... You know the rest.

Hopefully it's no big deal. It's my first brew, and it was in the bucket until today, so I've never actually gotten to see what was going on.

Suited_Up said:
I transferred to the secondary today. Maybe 5 hours ago... I got home and looked at it, and saw this, is this bad or normal do you think?

Looking again, is that stuff on the glass or in the brew? It's hard to tell, but if it's on the glass it could be mold. Either way, still relax and let it do it's thing but you may want to transfer to a new thoroughly sanitized carboy. Next time, avoid the secondary all together unless dry hopping, or when aging with added ingredients for an extended amount of time. There is no benefit in the secondary IMO and can even slow or hurt the beers ability to clean up any off flavors by removing it from the yeast.

After the Co2 comment, I just took a flashlight and got up really close, and I do kinda see tiny little bubbles within each dot, so I think that could be the right answer. I hope so.

I'm going to go against the grain and say it's not normal. Those spots are too symmetrical to be typical bubble clusters or yeast rafts, plus, there is a slight film on top of the beer.

What was your sanitizing procedure?

I think the presence of the film is from the glare off the bottle. There isn't much of one when I look at it here.

As for sanitation, I used StarSan on everything.

If it continues to "grow" it may be mold of some sort, it's hard to tell with the picture. Does it look "bubbly" at all? Like krausen? Are you fermenting in front of a window? I usually always have residual spots of co2/krausen after fermentation completes.

Suited_Up said:
I think the presence of the film is from the glare off the bottle. There isn't much of one when I look at it here.

As for sanitation, I used StarSan on everything.

I retract my previous statement

If it continues to "grow" it may be mold of some sort, it's hard to tell with the picture. Does it look "bubbly" at all? Like krausen? Are you fermenting in front of a window? I usually always have residual spots of co2/krausen after fermentation completes.

It's by the window, but covered and the blind is pulled, but I opened it up to get a little light for the picture.

This isn't really residual since it was just put into the carboy a few hours ago. But yeah, it looks like super small bubbles up close, and watching it I've seen a few other ones come to the surface, which is why I think the Co2 think could be right.

could be residual star san...like I said you'll know if its bad in 24 - 48hrs...there will be film and growth...possible funky smells. I have heard of people racking from the bottom and leaving the top with luck...

what style is it?

could be residual star san...like I said you'll know if its bad in 24 - 48hrs...there will be film and growth...possible funky smells. I have heard of people racking from the bottom and leaving the to being with luck...

what style is it?

It's an american wheat.

I know I didn't need to secondary it, but I hadn't done it, so for one, I wanted to get a feel for it, and after opening it up to test the gravity, there was so much gunk that I just wanted to clean it up a bit. Call me OCD maybe, lol.

I'll just call you a home brewer... ;) I'm guilty too good luck with the wheat, I'll be doing one soon enough. on a saison kick.

If you see more coming that rapidly it's probably not mold, and it looks kind of bubbly, I'm betting your perfectly fine.

My first thought was that 4-5 hours was too fast for bacteria to show up, but that's not based on much, lol.

so did you taste it?....how long was it in primary?

Yeah, tasted pretty good. In primary for a week. Gravity was pretty close to final. Supposed to be 1.009 to 1.013... looked to me to be at 1.014

They're still showing up, so I'm pretty sure it's just CO2 bubbles.

well they are probably fermentating again...probably warmed and roused them after the transfer...

next time hold off on the secondary...atleast for a little while longer.

14 days on the cake really does wonders.

Latest posts

Back