Is this a well rounded selection of hops to have on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
Fuggle (UK) Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 13.75
Northern Brewer (GR) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 13.75
Hallertau Pellets (GR) 1 lb. $ 10.75
Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75
Amarillo Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 11.25

+ leaf hops below
1lb target
1lb golding
1/3 lb cascade (leftover from a full lb)

This is essentially what I'll have on hand here.....I was shooting for a selection that would basically allow me to approximate nearly any hop profile (noble, citrus, earthy, just plain bitter, piney, etc)....what do you think I'm missing? What do you always make sure you have on hand?

Your selection looks good. I would personally sub Centennial for the Chinook, but thats just me.

I'll admit that Chinook is my wild card there....never personally used it, though it turns up in recipes of pro-beers that I like fairly often. It was a conscious choice to grab something "american" other than centennial to try and get a feel for a new hop and maybe open a new flavor profile up....expanding my horizons....:mug:

Chinook is a high alpha bittering hop and also used for aroma. You should be using it in APA or IPA's. You've got the makings of ESB, IPA & APA at the minimum, also some Munich Helles and many other styles. I rarely have more than 4-5 varieties and usually go shopping for the next brew. I have a bunch of US Saaz that makes me feel guilty that I should be using it and I don't really want to.

Chinook is a high alpha bittering hop and also used for aroma. You should be using it in APA or IPA's.

This is what Centennial is too, really. That's why I thought I'd try something a little different this time around. Many of my previous American ales have featured centennial along with Cascade. I find centennial to be a rather harsh hop (atleast when it's green), while the beers i've had with chinook tend to have a resiny/piney profile that I sorta like when I'm in the mood for hops.

I plan to brew an all fuggle porter first once my order comes in though. I love fuggle and ekg, but have never used straight fuggle.

This is all purely for research, really. :tank:

Hey samc If you do not want or use your Saaz I would be willing to take them off your hands. I live in milwaukee but I have a brother at Reed college which is in your neck of the woods and he brews as well/sends me packages on ocasion so there would be no shipping cost for you. pm me if you are interested. Also OP I Love EKGs but that is just me Galena has done me well before too and I like the chinook idea I think it is a good choice just me tho

I'll defend the Chinook choice too. Early in my homebrewing life I was sort of afraid of that hop from what I'd read as there were a lot of people who hated it. But I love it. It goes great in American ales of various sorts and is not as harsh as people say in my experience. Tasty!

Latest posts

Back