Is this a partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerdad

Reaction score
OK, tomorrow I will be brewing up a Rye IPA kit from the LHBS. The instructions given are pretty generic, and mention letting the grain steep for 30 minutes in 150 degree water. Trouble is, it sounds to me like a partial mash recipe, given the ingredients, so I'm thinking I need to do a proper mash. What do you guys think? I read somewhere that rye needed to be mashed, not just steeped.

BTW, I'm ready to do a partial mash, having gotten both a 2 and 3 gallon round cooler. No way to do full boils, so no all grain for me. Not yet anyway.

Here's the details:

Rye IPA

6 lb light DME
.75 lb Munich malt
.5 lb Crystal 40L malt
3 lb Rye malt
.5 lb Carapils malt
.5 lb flaked wheat malt
.75 oz Perle, 60 min
.75 oz Columbus, 60 min
.50 oz Cascade, 30 min
.50 oz Cascade, 5 min
.50 oz Columbus, dry hop in secondary

I'll be using a Wyeast 1056 American smack pack.

Yes, that is a PM recipe.

I don't know anything about rye malt- if it can convert itself or not. We need another "rye" person to let you know if you need some base malt to convert it. The munich can convert itself, but doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert other malts.

Edit- it looks like you'd be ok for conversion, but you might want some base malt in there if you are using a mashtun, as more than 15% rye malt is very sticky and likely to give you a stuck mash. Unless you are using a grain bag?

Rye malt can convert itself, but not something else. I'd be tempted to add a pound of 2-row. 30 minutes at 150F is ok, you won't have great conversion, though. I'd go for 60 minutes & use a large grain bag, so you can 'tea-bag' to wash the grain.

Again, this place is great! Thanks for the responses.

I will definitely use a large grain bag, and will go for 60 minutes. I don't have any 2-row at the moment, so I will just wing it with what I have. Wish me luck!

:mug:

Back