Is this a good deal from Amazon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a polarware 42 quart recently for much cheaper, around $75. Then drilled my own holes for spigot and thermometer. All in around $125 and very easy. Definitely worth the savings

$175 seems a little steep for a 10 gallon with spigot. If I see anything better I'll certainly post it.

Check out the mega pot 1.2 pricing for 10 gallons. It is slightly more at $209 and I simply like the quality of the bayou classic. I just decided to buy the 15 gallon ones for a new hlt and MLT.

Provantage.com has the same one for $135, not sure what shipping is. I have the 16 gallon bayou classic pots and am happy with them

I bought a Bayou Classic 44qt SS with no valve or thermo from Bed Bath and Beyond for $79 with free shipping. I then drilled it and installed a BK bulkhead and 3pc SS valve from BargainFittings. I did not want the thermo. So for a bit of DIY I am in under $100 for an 11 gallon BK. I etched the volume markings myself with a 9V cell chargers, some qtips, a stencil, and some vinegar and salt.

kettle_etching.jpg

SS_hop-spider.jpg

Overstock has the same one...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-10-gallon-4-piece-Brew-Kettle/8229086/product.html

he Bayou Classic 4-piece brew kettle features a ten-gallon capacity and a durable stainless steel construction. This stockpot also offers low side indentation and convenient gallon/quart calibration. This versatile 10-gallon Bayou Classic brew kettle is a great choice for deep frying that turkey. The built-in base thermometer lets you closely monitor your brew to ensure it doesn't scorch and tells you when the oil's just right to drop in the turkey. The thermometer and spigot detach for easy cleaning and sterilization.

Stainless stockpot with low side indentation
Heat shield and gallon/quart calibration
Domed and vented lid
Stainless ball valve having 0.5-inch FNPT treaded interior and exterior opening
Stainless thermometer with 2-inch stem
Spigot has bulkhead fittings
Thermometer and spigot are detachable for sterilization
0.8 mm/20 gauge construction
Weight: 20 pounds
Type: 4-piece Brew Kettle
Brand: Bayou Classic
Materials: Stainless steel
Finish: Polished
Capacity: 10 gallons/40 quarts
Dimensions: 16 inches high x 13.6 inches in diameter

I just bought 10 and a 16 gallon. False bottle + Bazooka screen + Temp + inside volume marking + Spigot = great deal.

Also, compared to the older Bayou Classic kettles, these are thicker, the false bottom is much stronger and the volume markings are great. The older ones were thinner and not as well made. (I know, one of my brew buddies has an older one, and is now envious of mine.)

Free shipping at overstock, and if you do a little work, you can find some discounts.

I would highly recommend them.

Wstbrewing

I bought a Bayou Classic 44qt SS with no valve or thermo from Bed Bath and Beyond for $79 with free shipping. I then drilled it and installed a BK bulkhead and 3pc SS valve from BargainFittings. I did not want the thermo. So for a bit of DIY I am in under $100 for an 11 gallon BK. I etched the volume markings myself with a 9V cell chargers, some qtips, a stencil, and some vinegar and salt.

Please explain how you eat he'd the markings. That looks great!

Please explain how etched the markings. It looks great

Sorry if this is... :off: But....

It was one of the disappointments in my Bayou classic Kettle. I didn't get to try etching the pot myself. :(
But I have it bookmarked because I am going to find something to etch.

It just looks like fun. :mug:

Etch a SS spoon, or make a logo stencil and etch it on the outside of the kettle. Lots of things to have fun with.

BTW, Bed Bath and Beyond throw around 20% off coupons about as liberally as Harbor Freight does. That is how I got my 44qt BC for $79. Good luck finding one in a store - I had to order and have it shipped (which you can do in store, but that may force you to pay tax - dunno)

Back