Is this a good deal for this motorcycle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Gas prices are driving me crazy and taking a big bite out of my monthly brewing budget. I'm spending 75% of my "allowance" just driving my truck to work every morning (24 mile round trip).

So I decided to get a motorcycle. I'm really thinking about getting a 1985 Honda Rebel 250cc. The price is $1000 and it has 5800 miles on it, so it's by no means a new bike but the guy claims its in good condition and I've seen pictures, it (superficially) looks good.

I don't know much about motorcycles but I was hoping someone could tell me if this is a good price or not for this bike.

I would first say you will not want to get a motorcycle less than 500cc as you will get bored of the starter bike (250cc). But if the budget will get you into riding then get it but be warned that next year you will be shopping for a bigger and better bike.
Hope you can just get a summer allowance increase and keep up the brewing and start riding both are addictive. Enjoy the new toy

Unless you weigh under 150lbs I would pass. That's a terribly underpowered bike, which makes it dangerous imo. I have a very nice Honda 919 you could have for $3500:D, it gets 50mpg, and hauls ass.

_

Do you have riding experience? Is this your first bike?

1000 bucks for a Honda with only 5800 is definitely a good deal. Honda is probably the best name in motorcycles, quads, you name it. I agree somewhat with joeguy in you will probably end up wanting at least a six. But if its your first bike and you are getting it specfically to save money on gas then a 250 would suit you just fine.

Worse case scenario is you flip in it a year for what you paid for. Plus if you are new to riding odds are you will drop it. Either in your garage or in a parking lot, etc. You will feel a lot better getting a scuff on a 1000 dollar bike than you would a 7000 dollar one.

Do you have riding experience? Is this your first bike?

1000 bucks for a Honda with only 5800 is definitely a good deal. Honda is probably the best name in motorcycles, quads, you name it. I agree somewhat with joeguy in you will probably end up wanting at least a six. But if its your first bike and you are getting it specfically to save money on gas then a 250 would suit you just fine.

Worse case scenario is you flip in it a year for what you paid for. Plus if you are new to riding odds are you will drop it. Either in your garage or in a parking lot, etc. You will feel a lot better getting a scuff on a 1000 dollar bike than you would a 7000 dollar one.

The fuel savings between the terribly underpowered 250cc and a 500cc (both v-twin type engines), or 600cc inline is extravagantly negligible. In fact (though my comparisons are limited to the Kawi lines), you will get better mileage out of a 1000cc than you will a 600cc. With that said, if you EVER drive on the highway you will be getting ran over if you don't get at LEAST a 500cc engine. There just isn't enough horsepower to push you down the road at the speed limit. Honda is pretty legendary with their reliability so you can't go wrong there. A craigslist search didn't return anything super exciting, but i only searched Augusta.

Long story short, the other posters are correct. You will either not have enough power, or get bored with the power you do have and this will not be a cheap investment in the long run. Just get a bigger bike and you won't have this problem.

If you just want good mpg's and have no interest in becoming a "rider" then a rebel will work just fine, and yes, it will run forever. I would be willing to bet you will get very bored of the bike in a few months and wish you got something 600cc or bigger. As far as the price goes, you should be able to get a 2005 rebel in good shape for $1000, not a 1985. You can buy brand new ones from the dealership (2 yrs old but never owned before) for just over $2000. I would keep looking. I have always had honda motorcycles and they are amazing, but they are also very common and great deals can be had and that is just not a very good deal.

When people say I'll get bored of the small 250cc, what do they mean exactly? It can't go that fast? I just need it to do 60-65 mph sustained on a moderately hilly state road.

I rode a Ninja 250 for years. I would be up at around 9500+ rpm at freeway speeds, but the bike was designed to do that. It didn't redline until about 13,000 rpm.

While the Rebel is also a 250, the tuning on those engines is completely different. The Rebel would be fine for around town and some highway driving. I probably wouldn't take it on the interstate.

When people say I'll get bored of the small 250cc, what do they mean exactly? It can't go that fast? I just need it to do 60-65 mph sustained on a moderately hilly state road.

Again, I've never ridden one, but I imagine it will do that. This is assuming you don't weigh 400 pounds. Have you ever sat on the Rebel? It is a pretty small bike, which can be good and bad. I was originally looking at the slightly larger Yamaha Virago 250 when I was getting into riding, until I sat on it and realized that, at six feet tall, I looked like I was riding one of those undersized clown bikes. Kawasaki makes a 500cc cruiser style, at least they used to, that was probably the bare minimum for my frame. Even then, it wasn't a huge bike.

I'm 5'7" 152 lbs, so if this guy responds to my email I'll see the bike tomorrow.

So... State Highway roads, which I'm assuming that means that you aren't intending to go on the Interstate with it. We have a state road around here that has sections that look an awful lot like an interstate. As others have said, don't go on the interstate with it. On a motorcycle, hammering the gas can sometimes get you out of a bad situation the same way that hitting the brakes can in other situations. So the idea that a full grown man (not sure of your size or weight) will be riding a motorcycle with such a small engine displacement gives me reason to be concerned. I don't know the limitations of that motorcycle, but I personally wouldn't ride it anywhere other than in town. Lower speeds, I'm sure it will have enough grunt to take off when I need it. But at higher speeds, its not going to give me enough keep me safe.

As for the price, I personally think it's not all that great. If you're not concerned with looks, you can easily find a larger, fully reliable motorcycle for $1k or less. And if you are concerned with appearance, rattlecans of paint have come a long way in recent years. Either way, I would also recommend a minimum of 500cc if you're going anywhere highway speeds.

EDIT: I was typing when you responded with your size. For the record, I'm 6'2 @ 230#. I ride a 1700cc Yamaha and get a little better than 45 mpg on the highway.

What they are saying is once you start riding you will want to open the throttle up more and a 250 is an entry level bike and doesnt have the top speed or acceleration as a 6 or higher. Not only that but it feels much smaller than a bigger bike.

Lots of guys will start on a 250 and quickly want to move up to something bigger so they are suggesting you skip that whole part and get something bigger from the jump.

A 250 still has more accelleration than most production cars out there and will definitely go 60 mph unless you are built like a lineman. Its true you arent going to save a significant amount of gas from a 250 to a 500 but what I was saying is if your only reason for buying one is to save money on gas then a Honda 250 is just fine. If you are a beginner its even better. It's one of the highest recommended starter bikes available. In fact if you take a BRC they only have 250s to practice on.

Good luck and ride safe whatever you choose to do. And always remember booze and bikes dont mix.

It doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Like some other posters have said, new rebels are only a few thousand bucks. I took a motorcycle course to get my liscense about 4 years ago and we used rebels and similar 250cc bikes for the practical part of the course. They had very little power, and if you're stature is anything above average you're going to feel really big on one of them. Trust me, the last thing you want in a motorcycle is to feel unsafe on top of it and have cars screaming past you on the interstate when you're already at full throttle.

Also, hondas are reliable, but the bike is still 26 years old. You would definitely have to get it tuned up/checked out by someone before you could feel safe riding it. It may need new tires as well. Both those things can be expensive, and are really necessary before you put your life on the line riding some 26 year old bike with an unknown service history. If your car has a mechanical issue when your driving you just pull to the side of the road. If your motorcycle has a mechanical issue while you're riding, it could be a really dangerous situation.

Since you are a newer rider, I would also agree with starting on a smaller bike, but, as has been mentioned, you also don't want it to be so underpowered that you can't use acceleration to your advantage.

Some people will give you the impression that NO 250 is capable of freeway driving and that just isn't true. However, the 250 I would recommend to most people would be the bike I started with, the Ninja 250. It is a different animal then most of the other 250 models. It is designed to rev and it will be fine on the freeway. Is it a rocket? No, but it's completely capable. The biggest downside is that it's a bit light and you do have to be aware of crosswinds. This isn't a huge issue, just something many aren't ready for. Honda also has a new 250, I think it's a thumper, but you wouldn't find one used.

All this being said, at your size and if you don't anticipate needing to do any riding above the speeds you're talking about, the Rebel might still be an okay choice.

I don't know the used bike market in Georgia, but if I saw that same bike for sale here (DFW metroplex) I'd probably offer the guy $300-350 and maybe go as high as $500 but only if the tires are in great shape and it has a clean air filter, clean oil, good spark plugs, good battery, been started in the last decade, etc. Thats alot of money for a bike that small and old.

For the sake of argument, if you work 5 days a week, that's 120 miles a week. If your car/truck gets only 20 mpg, that's a mere 6 gallons a week, at $4 a gallon it's $24 a week for gas. You could drive to work for 42 weeks on a grand, a full year if you get 25mpg.

I spend almost a grand a MONTH on gas. It doesn't sound like a decent trade off to me.

_

Im getting the idea that $1000 is too high of a price, agree, disagree?

BTW, my truck gets 12-13 mpg. It's a full size.

Kelly Blue Book suggests $1,140 for that bike, but that assumes the bike is in "excellent" condition. I would be cautious with anything that old. The low mileage is a plus, but also leads me to wonder when the engine was last fired up? It might have been sitting covered in a garage for 10 years and it looks just spectacular, but the fuel system is all gummed up, the tires are cracking and a family of rats is using the thing as their winter home.

Like any used purchase, you have to be cautious.

I just did a quick Kelly Blue Book check on a 85' Rebel in Augusta, GA and from a dealership, in mint condition, the value is $1140, and that includes the dealers fees and making the bike look, literally, like new. I just don't think there is anyway to justify paying over $500 or $600. I would keep looking for a few days and see if anything else comes along. I bought a 97 Buell 1200 for $1200 a few years ago that I found on Craigslist. Just be patient and check it constantly, something will come along.

EDIT: Just saw someone beat me to the KBB check.

The first thing you should do is sign up for an MSF class.

250s are for kids. Get a big boy bike. The other side of that is the liter bikes. Can anyone explain to me why they even bother governing these things at 180? It's kinda pointless way before that. For a rice rocket stick with a 600 and if you're going with a standard bike 750 to 1200 cc should be good. Helmets are very important but they are yet to save my life. Constant alertness, quick acceleration, and good brakes have done it many times though.

I am about the same size as you and have had fun on my little '78 Yamaha enduro 250. I had to put a higher gear on it to get to highway speeds (it's really more of an off-road bike) but it hauled just fine, until the seals went out.

I'd suggest either talking this guy down a bunch ($500 would be a decent deal I think) or look for something different. I got my Kawasaki 750 three years ago for $600 down from asking price of $800 but it is also older. Unless you have a garage and tools to wrench, I'd look for something a big newer.

250s are for kids. Get a big boy bike. The other side of that is the liter bikes. Can anyone explain to me why they even bother governing these things at 180? It's kinda pointless way before that. For a rice rocket stick with a 600 and if you're going with a standard bike 750 to 1200 cc should be good. Helmets are very important but they are yet to save my life. Constant alertness, quick acceleration, and good brakes have done it many times though.

When you are sitting in a left turn lane and some idiot swerving in and out of traffic at night hits you from behind... you'd be glad to have a helmet and armored motorcycle jacket on like I did.

Edit: The horsepower on my old enduro is supposed to be right around 37hp which is pretty decent for a little bike. Probably higher than a rebel would be due to it being 2-stroke.

Absolutely!

250s are for kids. Get a big boy bike. The other side of that is the liter bikes.

Hmm, yes, a liter bike is a great place to start for a newbie. If you do go that route, be sure to have your worldly affairs in order and ask yourself this question:

"Do I believe in God?"

If so, then you are in luck, as you may be seeing him sooner than you had anticipated!

After you buy a bike you'll have other extra expenses as well. Helmet and jacket would be at least 200(if you craigslist it), probably much more. Insurance, registration, maintenance of another vehicle. Unless you're getting rid of your truck(which you probably aren't because you'll need a vehicle that can carry groceries, passengers, anything you can't put in a backpack) then the money you save on gas will really not counteract your expenses. Honestly, if it's about saving money on gas, your best bet is to get rid of the full sized truck and get a small sedan. I assume you don't need the truck for work if you would be riding a motorcycle there instead.

Im getting the idea that $1000 is too high of a price, agree, disagree?

BTW, my truck gets 12-13 mpg. It's a full size.

It depends. You have to see it in person. Make sure you check the frame for scratches, dents, welding marks etc. Check the seals for leaks and check the chain for any rust/corrusion. Ride it if he'll let you. If all that is good and it starts right up and the tires don't need replacement then you are golden.

The bike barely has 5800 miles on it and its 26 years old so most likely hes just been babying it. He probably bought it thinking he was going to save on gas and then almost got ran over by a semi on the freeway and put it away. J/K

If everything is good with it the bike will pay itself off within a couple months on gas savings alone. Insurance for that bad boy is probably less than 25 a month.

Also, I do not recommend buying a used helmet. 1. I wouldnt want to wear something someone elses sweaty head has been all up in. 2. If a helmet is dropped it can lose its integrity and you cant always tell if it has or hasnt. Not worth it IMO. You can find good deals online.

When you are sitting in a left turn lane and some idiot swerving in and out of traffic at night hits you from behind... you'd be glad to have a helmet and armored motorcycle jacket on like I did.

I've heard a couple horror stories just like this. Glad you didn't get it too bad. At the minimum you have enough sense left to like this hobby..

To the OP. This brings up another point. Don't be the guy riding with a tank-top, shorts, and flip flops.

Thanks for all the posts, they have helped me enormously.

I think what I will do is try to get the guy down to about $600-700. If he is firm with the price, I'll pass. I'm also going to think about getting something bigger, although I want to get at least 60 mpg.

Oh and I'm going to sell my V8 and get a 4 beater truck. I need a truck though, I couldn't imagine not having one!

Hmmm...it seems like everybody here has missed what I think is an important detail.
Badmajon: You're about to spend a grand on a bike to commute in Georgia. I wouldn't buy it. Not for $1000, not for $200.
Get a car. Sure it's not as much fun as a motorcycle, but you will appreciate having a roof and the extra grip of 4 tires when it rains (and, if Georgia weather is anything like Miami weather, that's gonna be quite often), not to mention having an enclosed space in winter.
You can get 40+ mpg on a Honda Civic, and, just like Honda bikes, the thing is bulletproof. Then, if you really want a bike, you can get one with the savings, just to have fun with it.

Hmmm...it seems like everybody here has missed what I think is an important detail.
Badmajon: You're about to spend a grand on a bike to commute in Georgia. I wouldn't buy it. Not for $1000, not for $200.
Get a car. Sure it's not as much fun as a motorcycle, but you will appreciate having a roof and the extra grip of 4 tires when it rains (and, if Georgia weather is anything like Miami weather, that's gonna be quite often), not to mention having an enclosed space in winter.
You can get 40+ mpg on a Honda Civic, and, just like Honda bikes, the thing is bulletproof. Then, if you really want a bike, you can get one with the savings, just to have fun with it.

I have a truck and a minivan too. :) I wouldn't only have a bike!

Great point. Even if I plan on riding all five days to work on a certain week I probably end up only riding 3 of them. Some days the weather just doesn't allow for safe or comfortable riding. Other days I remember I have to stop here or there after work and I'll need my car. So when calculating the money you'll be saving on gas, the OP needs to be realistic about just how often he'll ride.

The plan is to buy a bike ASAP, and then sell my relatively new 12-13 mpg V8 4x4 truck and get a small 20-25mpg 4 cyl 2x4 old crappy truck (toyota or something reliable) to use to haul stuff and drive to work when the weather is bad... and to pocket the savings (trying to pay off debt).

I think its a good plan!

Great point. Even if I plan on riding all five days to work on a certain week I probably end up only riding 3 of them. Some days the weather just doesn't allow for safe or comfortable riding. Other days I remember I have to stop here or there after work and I'll need my car. So when calculating the money you'll be saving on gas, the OP needs to be realistic about just how often he'll ride.

Exactly. And if you have that problem in Nevada, you wouldn't believe how much worse it gets here, on the East coast. Over the last 3-4 years, we've been having, regularly, a couple of months a year in which it's been raining (a lot) almost daily.

The plan is to buy a bike ASAP, and then sell my relatively new 12-13 mpg V8 4x4 truck and get a small 20-25mpg 4 cyl 2x4 old crappy truck (toyota or something reliable) to use to haul stuff and drive to work when the weather is bad... and to pocket the savings (trying to pay off debt).

I think its a good plan!

That's my point. If what you want is to save money, you first need to think it over, and be honest with yourself.
How many times do you REALLY need a truck, whatever its size? You say you have a minivan. I have crammed 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood and 20 2x4"s in a Ford Windstar once. And you can really haul a lot of stuff in the trunk of a Protege.
For $1000 you can probably get a 30+mpg car in pretty good shape, and then, whatever money you get for your big truck, it's all profit. Then you can get yourself a bike, once you're out of debt.

Back