is this a dumb idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickeymoose

Reaction score
I have a bock extract kit in the primary for three weeks, i am thinking of dry hopping for 5 days or so in the secondary, just to try something i havent done yet. two questions: is this a bad idea for a bock? if it is not a bad idea, what type of hops should i use and how long? I dont think that hoppy bock is common, but I am new to this.

This is a tin can extract kit that i bought from LBHS. I should nut punch the local guy as I asked him for a suggestion on a kit for a beginner and he gave me the bock. He didn't tell me about keeping the fermentaion colder and lagering colder than other kits. I dont have a temp controlled fermentation chamber. I guess I will just wait and see how it goes, but was hoping maybe to dry hop.

Thanks

i dont plan to enter a competition, unles it was a "what the hell were you thinking competition", I am just tinkering with something that my LHBS guy sold me, without any knowledge on my end. I guess that is on me for not going knowledge first, beer second. My history has always been Beer first, knowledge after, real knowledge after lots of beer!

So you may go out of style. If you aren't entering it in a competition, what does it matter? The beauty of homebrew is that freedom to experiment.

My next planned brew is an adaption of the Movaje Red ale recipe here on HBT... I plan to "Irish" it up, but the recipe I am looking at is a little "big" to be a true Irish red. I'm not viewing that as a bad thing.

I'm not arguing against playing with any recipe. I just like to know how to classify things that's all. If it doesn't fit, who cares?

I don't think style guidelines are for the timid as much as they are for giving direction. And like it has already been stated if you're not going to a competition..

Taste it. Disregard the flateness but does it taste like beer? Does it taste funny (Buttery popcorn or banana or ...) If it taste something like you would think would taste better cold and carbonated, bottle it. My local LHBS would never give that kind of advice except under duress. I have been in my LHBS where some newbie would talk himself into something not recommended for a new brewer. Your guy lost a customer and possibly more because of that advice. My choice for a first brew would always be a British Mild Ale.

Bottled 1: Muntons Irish Stout
Bottled 2: Muntons Wheat
bottled 3 : Coopers Wheat
Primary: Coopers Bock
Holy Crap this is addictive!

Judging by this I'd say it's not his first brew. I started all grain after I'd done this many extract batches.

Back