Is this a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakes

Reaction score
So I was out at my LHBS today and I mistakenly picked up Simcoe Hops instead of Magnums. I have an ounce of Simcoe and I don't want to make the 40 minute trip again for Magnums. This is my recipe with Simcoe added:

6 lb LME Light
2 lb DME Light
1 lb Caravienne
1 oz Magnum Hops - 60 min
1 oz Amarillo - 30 min
1 oz Amarillo - 15 min
2 oz Cascade - 5 min
1 oz Simcoe - 60 min?
Muntons Premium Gold

Will this work/taste decent? It is an IPA and I am trying to make it slightly higher than 80 IBUs.

Also, if I use the Simcoe, should I put it in all boil or partial? As it stands now, it looks to hit around 89 IBU.

Thanks for the help!

That's fine. Simco will work well. If you are worried about 89 IBU being too high (I would, although this might be what your going for), then just make your 60min addition a little later (maybe @ 50min or so). Also, you can adjust that 30min addition to 15-20min.

Thanks for the advice! I would like it to be higher but I wasn't sure if it would throw something off.

Oakes said:
On another sort of tangent, do you think orange peel would fit in this?

Never used it before and experimenting is what Homebrew is all about. On the other hand, I wouldn't. If you want even more citrus in that recipe I would move the 30min to 15min and everything else (except the 60min) to the last 5min or at 0min, then let it steep for 20min or so, before cooling.
I would hold off on the orange peel for a Belgian wit

On another sort of tangent, do you think orange peel would fit in this?

I like the idea, and almost tried it myself. Instead, I decided to stick with the natural flavors provided by the hops, and my beer turned out better for it.

Oakes said:
Should be hitting 1.056 as it stands.

Again it's Homebrew, so have a field day however you want, but 80s is still pretty high. Might I suggest something in the 60s?

I recently made a 1.069 IPA that was accidentally 94 IBU and it was just oddly bitter. I used a bunch of late additions and dry hopped it, which all worked out great for flavor and aroma. I will make the same one again with the intended target of 55-60 IBU.

Then again, who doesn't love a good palate wrecker every once in a while!

I'm probably not telling any of you anything you don't already know, but a couple months back my brew partner and I took a class that Stone offers called Beer University.

Anyways, the point of the class is to teach newbies all about beer and you pay like $10 and you get a flight of their beers, some food and mostly good beer conversation. Well, for the most part it was a bunch of well versed beer drinkers and home brewers bringing their wives and girlfriends to they can learn some about beer.

Ultimately, the process broke down into a Q&A and we got to field a bunch of questions and one of which brought about the answer that the higher ABV the more IBU's the beer can tolerate without making it overly bitter.

In other words, the bitterness to ABV ratio has to be in sync otherwise you'll have either an overly alcoholic or overly bitter beer, but if you hit the mark, it'll taste balanced and great. It's one of the reasons why Double IPA's seem "smoother" than single IPA's.

For me personally ever since then I've tried to keep my SG to IBU ratio to about ~80% give or take on my IPA's.

It's one of the reasons why Double IPA's seem "smoother" than single IPA's.

Not sure I followed your logic to arrive at this conclusion. I can't disagree with the conclusion that a DIPA seems smoother than an IPA, but I couldn't follow your thoughts on the IBU to SG relationship. I think dryness contributes to a DIPA seemingly easier to drink.

For me personally ever since then I've tried to keep my SG to IBU ratio to about ~80% give or take on my IPA's.

Sorry, if I'm slow, but it is not obvious which is the 80%. For a 1.060 OG beer, would you aim for 48 or 72 IBUs? It would make a lot of difference. I generally aim for a 1:1 ratio.

Back