Is there any reason...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyurboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not to build a RIMS chamber out of CPVC? Operating temps seem to be within spec for the plastic, it would be a better insulator (less heat loss), and it would certainly seem to be cheaper as a point of entry than stainless or copper...we don't work with particularly high pressure, so that should not be an issue.

I can't see the negatives that would prevent such a beast...aside from the fire hazard if you run it dry somehow...?

I vaguely recall someone here having a CPVC RIMS melt and nearly catch fire when it somehow ran dry.

Not to build a RIMS chamber out of CPVC? Operating temps seem to be within spec for the plastic, it would be a better insulator (less heat loss), and it would certainly seem to be cheaper as a point of entry than stainless or copper...we don't work with particularly high pressure, so that should not be an issue.

I can't see the negatives that would prevent such a beast...aside from the fire hazard if you run it dry somehow...?

If you make one out of CPVC, I recommend you pray before each brew session that you don't get a stuck mash because if you do get a stuck mash chances are pretty much 100% you will have meltdown and possibly a fire. DAMHIKT

Back