Is there a science behind bottle design?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is a dumb question. But hey, at least it's not the only dumb question out there. :)

I was explaining to my wife about why you should bottle condition with the bottles upright, per comments here. For example, the reduced air space as opposed to laying down means less risk of oxidation. She asked me, "Is that why longneck bottles are designed that way?"

I figured that was a pretty decent question (compared to most of the things she asks :) ). Maybe that was because we had gone through about a dozen home brews by then (my red ale and porters are good to drink now and are quite decent).

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Mark

I believe its just marketing. People like their BMC in longnecks.

I haven't heard about getting more oxidation by laying your bottle flat. The main reason that I know of for keeping bottles upright is so your yeast compact on the bottom.
Pez.

EDIT: Oh, my other thought is that one of your Porters would go good right now..

I've also heard that the longer neck provides an area to hold the beer that doesn't get your hand as cold or the beer as warm. Not everybody holds a bottle by the neck and I usually drink from a glass anyway, so I'm not sure if there's any validity to that.

The is allot of science in bottle design. I believe one of the Miller companies designed a bottle that swirls the beer as you drink it. Joke? Marketing? I would like to put a different beer in that bottle and see if there is something to it.

I'd say it's all marketing.. No true beer nerd will drink out of a bottle.
Now, if it's that BMC filth, then perhaps a cool bottle will help you to get over how awful it tastes.

Just searched and found this on wiki:

"The long neck offers a long cushion of air to absorb the pressure of carbonation to reduce the risk of exploding. In Canada, in 1992, the large breweries agreed to all use a 341 mL longneck bottle of standard design (named AT2), thus replacing the traditional stubby bottle and an assortment of brewery-specific long-necks which had come into use in the mid-1980s."

Sounds pretty good to me.

Kevin

If the headspace is the same volume it doesn't matter its shape as it will react the same way to CO2 pressure so I do not believe that long neck CO2 pressure spill for a minute.

Brasserie Dupont actually conditions their saison on its side (according to Farmhouse Ales). I've had more than a few of their bottles, and none of them have tasted oxidized to me.

Brasserie Dupont actually conditions their saison on its side (according to Farmhouse Ales). I've had more than a few of their bottles, and none of them have tasted oxidized to me.

Well, that's because oxidation isn't actually a concern when laying bottles on their side! It actually makes good sense to a have a beer like a saison condition on its side. That earthy/yeasty flavor is characteristic of the style, and having some yeast in the pour will ensure that it comes through.

Well, that's because oxidation isn't actually a concern when laying bottles on their side! It actually makes good sense to a have a beer like a saison condition on its side. That earthy/yeasty flavor is characteristic of the style, and having some yeast in the pour will ensure that it comes through.

Don't forget the cork! Not sure how much I buy into that flavor contribution, but I am looking at starting corking some of my big Belgians here in the future. Side by side experiment methinks?

Don't forget the cork! Not sure how much I buy into that flavor contribution, but I am looking at starting corking some of my big Belgians here in the future. Side by side experiment methinks?

My last homebrew club meeting had New Belgium's sensory expert as a guest speaker who addressed corked beers. They do look good, but are not good for a beer you plan to age. They are oxygen permeable no matter what you do and will lead to oxidation eventually. While corked beers make us brewers oooh and aaaah, capped bottles are better for beers you are going to age.

My last homebrew club meeting had New Belgium's sensory expert as a guest speaker who addressed corked beers. They do look good, but are not good for a beer you plan to age. They are oxygen permeable no matter what you do and will lead to oxidation eventually. While corked beers make us brewers oooh and aaaah, capped bottles are better for beers you are going to age.

what about those plastic corks? not the white ones but the "cork" coloured ones?

OK, that's hilarious. I actually choked on my coffee. Made my day.

Now I think I need to drink alot of beer.

Time for a personal grammar change. Quite funny.

On topic, if longnecks are the key, why does Sierra Nevada use squat bottles? Several other breweries, too. I think the bottle shape has more to do with marketing. Think tall, sexy curvy woman as opposed to short squat straight gal. Kyle

Conditioning the bottles upright just allows the yeast to settle to the bottom so you can avoid pouring it into the glass. The amount of O2 inside is the same whether the bottle is upright or on its side, oxidation is not the concern.

what about those plastic corks? not the white ones but the "cork" coloured ones?

If it is all plastic and doesn't have any oxygen permeable foam or anything I would imagine that would keep the O2 out like a bottle cap would.

Back