Is there a beer you buy just for the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a 12er of New Belgium last year sometime in hopes that I'd get good beer and bottles but after washing them I'd say 4 or so had weird hairline cracks from what seemed like a manufacturing defect.

I've had trouble with the NB bottles too. They seem more brittle than most.

I buy all sorts of beer bottle styles, but had a bit of a time with completing a 12 pack box with Ranger Creek small batch series bottles, which look like Belgian bottles with 16.9 oz, but cost almost $6 a piece.

I found their English barley wine and finished off what I needed to fill the box.

Not sure how to copy and paste a link using an iPad.

I've been bottling with plenty of NB bottles up to 2.6 vols of carb with no issues. Not sure what's going on with many of you. Am I just lucky then?

Part of my problem was the old wing capper I used to use. It was rough on bottles in general, but NB and Anchor seemed to be particularly susceptible to shattered necks. I might only have a couple NBs that survived until I got a bench capper, but the Anchor bottles handle it much better.

Rogue XS comes in 750mL ceramic bottles. I like them a lot, because they are hefty, completely opaque, and flip-top.

Green Flash. I do not buy it now for just the bottle. When I first tried their Palate Wrecker, I was just trying their beer and kind of liked the bottle. Turns out I like how their short bottles pour, how easy they are to store and carry, how easy their labels come off and have yet to have one of their brews I don't like.

I don't buy them just for the bottle but will try about any new thing they put out partly because I know that I will like the bottles.

If you are in Asia Tiger beer is cheap as...and comes in a nice heavy weight 22oz.

I have a friend that spear fishes and dives where he finds megalodon fossil shark teeth. He traded me a big one for a batch of hefewiesse. I put as much of that batch as I could in bottles from Dogfish Head...they have an oval emblem with a shark on the shoulder of the bottle. And I customized a label with a great white shark on it.

IMAG2504_1.jpg

Kirkland mixed case of beer at Costco.. Decent, inexpensive, good bottles, good box. Cheaper than buying new bottles.. Have some friends over to help drink it.

Latest posts

Back