Is the Munich too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a Pale Ale this weekend and am wondering if my choice of Munich will be too much, and would I be better off using some more Pale Malt and a little Crystal instead.

75% Pale Malt
20% Munich
5% Flaked Wheat

Yeast: Brett (from Bruery - fruity, strain unknown)

Hops: Mix of Junga/Galaxy/El Dorado (trying to finish off some left-overs).

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.006 (planning to mash low)

I usually go with just Pale Malt with 5% light Crystal, mash low to end low. I like it dry and refreshing. Wondering if the low FG will not go with the added maltiness, and I either remove the Munich or mash higher to try to finish around 1.010 ........ Or just mash/brew as normal and see what I get?

That's a perfect amount of Munich. I love Da Yooper's pale ale and it uses 20% Munich malt. It's freaking delicious.

Munich adds such a malty dimension to a pale ale or lager. I use it in my California common recipe at about 20% as well.

I use munich at about 5% in my IPA and it adds a nice beer maltiness. Haven't tried more but it might muddle the hop flavors some.. depending on what you are going for.

No negative comments - Doing it!

On deck for Saturday. Supposed to be cold and raining; sounds like a good day to brew.

If you like Munich then your fine. It will be firm at that amount. The beer below is a west coast ipa that was 10% Munich and it was solidly there. Also depends what color you want because it will be darker than this.

Attachments

• F449645D-02FA-4DFE-AFFE-66291B9FC274.jpeg
    F449645D-02FA-4DFE-AFFE-66291B9FC274.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
No negative comments - Doing it!

On deck for Saturday. Supposed to be cold and raining; sounds like a good day to brew.
You are going for a pale ale so i think its within style! Go for it ... please post your results.

Brett? Is this a sour APA? Not a big fan of brett IPAs. Haven't tried a brett APA. It seems the fruitiness and general brett flavor will overpower the hops in an APA. I don't brew bretts so I may be totally off base.

Last edited:
Brett? Is this a sour APA? Not a big fan of brett IPAs. Haven't tried a brett APA. It seems the fruitiness and general brett flavor will overpower the hops in an APA. I don't brew bretts so I may be totally off base.
There are quite a few different Brett strains and well as blends with brewing yeast. Some have very fruity profiles with very little funk and some throw straight cheese farts. Just depends on the strain. If you do end up starting to brew with them be sure to dedicate a fermenter, keg, and racking lines to the “funk” beers. You don’t want to contaminate your main equipment for the possibility of ruining future batches.

Back