Is stacking two vertical smokers possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got two vertical smokers off of Craig's list. I have put about $30 total into them and would like to know if it is possible to smoke food with good results using two of the charcoal smokers stacked on each other. These are charcoal but I can put one of my propane burners under them if needed. I have never smoked meat with propane.

Thanks

SAM_1847.jpg

It's definitely possible. Vertical smokers are quite common and your typical WSM-style smoker doesn't have nearly as much vertical real estate as most verticals...

A few things you'll want to consider:

1. Temperature stratification - Do you need to insulate or perform other modifications to make sure that the temperature on the low racks isn't some absurd thing like 75-100 degrees hotter than the higher racks.
  2. Access control. If your smokers load vertically, how do you plan to get access to things that are 3-4 racks from the top?
  3. How much of a fire do you need to build to make sure the stuff on higher racks is hot enough? Are the low racks far enough away from direct heat to avoid charring?
  4. Related, does the smoker have a water pan or heat baffle? Again, because it's vertical you want enough of a barrier to ensure you don't char the food on the bottom rack.

But frankly these concerns aren't insoluble. There are a lot of smokers on the market with 5+ vertical shelves, so I'd say give it a go.

Back