Is something wrong with my CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
I've been having problems with the head retention on my beers that I force carbonate. Pouring from Keg or bottle, they look okay at first, but you can hear them fizz, which results in very little head after 30 seconds.
Now, everyone will problem say this is over-carbonation, but I don't think that's it. I've got my temp at 36 and PSI around 12 which should be about right.

So the last keg I put on tap was a Belgian Saison, which I KEG CONDITIONED with priming sugar. After 2 weeks of conditioning and chilling the keg, I poured a perfect pint of beer with great head, perfect carbonation, and no fizzing sound. I left the keg hooked up to CO2 overnight, and the next day poured another pint. It was fizzy just like the force carbonated beers and didn't taste quite the same as the day before. The nice fine bubbles I had were gone and head retention lasts about 20 seconds.

Again, I don't think this is an over-carbonation issue.

What is going on??!!

He said he was able to pour a good head from priming, aka his glasses are fine...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

could there be oil in the tank? that would cause loss of head retention. People say that there is oil in paint ball gun co2 canisters and you shouldn't use them. although people also say that's not true so take it with a big grain of salt

Are you using a shank and faucet or a picnic tap?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm just sort of throwing things out there but you may want to clean out your regulator and inspect your tap/gas lines. Oil is a head killer and maybe you have some sort of organic build up in your regulator. Honestly I have no idea how that could happen but it is the first thing that popped in my head. When you poured that good pint did you use the same liquid line and faucet that you used for the disappointing pint?

How well do you clean your faucets? Do you use faucet plugs when the faucets are not in use?

Back